Cows act hungry, will they eat what is in the pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Millerranch

Reaction score
I have a group of 8 heifers at this time. I have about 40 acres of Bahia that was cut on September 1st and bailed. It has been growing since them. There is plenty of green grass in the pastures, but the cows act like they do not want to eat it? Are they just being picky or is there an issue with it? I would like to make it into December before I have to feed any hay. I am from the north and just moved to Texas so I have no experience with Bahia grass at all.

Thanks for the help

Look at the cow pies. If they are starting to stand up then the protein is getting slim in the grass but if you have plenty of height on the grass you might want to supplement them with some protein block or a syrup tank to keep them off hay as long as possible.

I would give them a few cubes or something to get a little protein in them. Mabel 1 pound each a day or every other day. They will start eating the grass.

Millerranch":2w8v342r said:
There is plenty of green grass in the pastures, but the cows act like they do not want to eat it?

If you have good fences, don't do anything and eventually they will eat the bahia. It can, as mentioned earlier, get tough, but if it's still green it will be good enough for the cattle. Once it dies, though, it will progessively lose it's protein content and basically be like "standing hay".

The reason I mention fences is because if you have spoiled cows that are used to getting lush feed/grass, they will get out. It's the cow's job to convert the grass you have into beef; sometimes they have to be forced to work. ;-)

Latest posts