Cowboy Up,fixing an udder?

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
So I used cowboy Up on one of my PB Gelbvieh cows, she's a big framed cow that raises nice calves. The pic is her first calf at 3 days old.This will be her third calf, and her udder is rough! She really needs to grow wheels after this calf, but I'm wondering how Cowboy Up will do at fixing udder problems? Would it be worth the risk to keep a heifer out of this mating or no? What say y'all?

This catalog has a picture of his dam, and paternal grand dam in it, if you want any idea of what their udders looked like.

http://hinmanangus.com/uploads/3/4/7/0/34700345/hinman_angus_2018_female_catalog.pdf

southernultrablack said:
So I used cowboy Up on one of my PB Gelbvieh cows, she's a big framed cow that raises nice calves. The pic is her first calf at 3 days old.This will be her third calf, and her udder is rough! She really needs to grow wheels after this calf, but I'm wondering how Cowboy Up will do at fixing udder problems? Would it be worth the risk to keep a heifer out of this mating or no? What say y'all?

I was being a bit snarky in my reply, but I do want to say that is a really nice young calf. I don't know how Cowboy Up is doing on udders, ask NEFarmerswife, she's got some older progeny, but all the heifers I've seen out of that bull are nice, nice, nice.

CreekAngus said:
southernultrablack said:

I was being a bit snarky in my reply, but I do want to say that is a really nice young calf. I don't know how Cowboy Up is doing on udders, ask NEFarmerswife, she's got some older progeny, but all the heifers I've seen out of that bull are nice, nice, nice.

My Cowboy Up is still a heifer. I think her udder looks just fine but I don't think anyone really has an answer to that yet... there was quite a discussion on milking daughters. Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of input.

NEFarmwife said:
CreekAngus said:
southernultrablack said:

My Cowboy Up is still a heifer. I think her udder looks just fine but I don't think anyone really has an answer to that yet... there was quite a discussion on milking daughters. Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of input.

And for what it is worth, my Cowboy Up heifer is MY favorite heifer and we got some really good pedigrees.

From our operation and what we look for, I'm not too impressed with Cowboy Up. However, I will say that is a fine looking calf.

kilroy60 said:
From our operation and what we look for, I'm not too impressed with Cowboy Up. However, I will say that is a fine looking calf.

What was it that you didn't like about him?

Looking at his pedigree, CW, Marb, and RE, Cowboy Up is lagging, in our opinion, in these areas. We like to see higher percentages in these areas in the 20%. But we also look at maternal aspects and production aspects when matching up to our female. Compare to SydGen Enhance and you'll see what I'm referring to. Again, nothing wrong with CU but just doesn't work with what we're breeding.

Yeah, those two bulls are polar opposites. Enhance has an amazing EPD profile. We almost used him. Just couldn't get past his phenotype when I saw his video.

https://youtu.be/crNAh0EOtCo

LCBulls said:
Yeah, those two bulls are polar opposites. Enhance has an amazing EPD profile. We almost used him. Just couldn't get past his phenotype when I saw his video.

https://youtu.be/crNAh0EOtCo

Whenever I see that bull, I think TERMINAL. Enhance is an EPD super star like Peyton, but his phenotype is not what I want.

jscunn said:
What is so terminal about enhance's phenotype in this video?

His numbers scream terminal and everything from his mid section to the tail looks like a disaster. I would cull a young bull if he had that bad of hips and stride. But it's to the eye of the beholder, a lot of people far smarter than me like him. I have a two step process with bulls, what do they look like when they are young (18 months) and what does the dam look like. Then I start really delving into numbers, progeny and what farms are using them. Enhance as a young bull failed my eye test, but I am starting to wear glasses now a days.

That is how I see him also. He looks really large framed and has no rear end. I'd use him if I was guaranteed Bulls/Steers. Not sure I could keep any heifers unless they were out of smaller/ moderate cows with a really nice hind quarter.
We did get a few nice Acclaim heifers by breeding this way, but I wouldn't try it again on a large section of the herd. Too many throw always. I'm sure that he's what a lot of guys are looking for. Hard to beat his EPDs though.

I don't see what you guys do, the stride is pretty darn smooth when is passing in front of the grain bin. As far as muscle goes he isn't the heaviest muscled bull I have ever seen but you guys are missing the fact he is in working clothes instead of all fattened up standing in a pen full of straw, a lot of the "muscle" you see in cattle nowadays is the of the white variety.

I thought it took a lot of guts to post a video of a bull that green walking on dirt, hats off to Mogck or whoever did it.

jscunn said:
I don't see what you guys do, the stride is pretty darn smooth when is passing in front of the grain bin. As far as muscle goes he isn't the heaviest muscled bull I have ever seen but you guys are missing the fact he is in working clothes instead of all fattened up standing in a pen full of straw, a lot of the "muscle" you see in cattle nowadays is the of the white variety.

I thought it took a lot of guts to post a video of a bull that green walking on dirt, hats off to Mogck or whoever did it.

I've no dog in the fight but the bull is proper condition and well balanced. I know nothing of his EPDs, pedigree or owners. The fault I see is in the stride as he does not track rear feet into front tracks. That tells me there is a bone angle issue that I do not want to have if I can avoid it.

I sell hay to the Breeder of 3F Epic. Putting Epic aside, the guy knows cattle and knows how to breed. He told me Enhance calves weaned 100 pounds lighter than all the other calves and were weak mid rib to tail. He used Enhance on 1682 daughters thinking the 1882 daughters would fix Enhances weak rear and depth. He said it didn't work. He is not keeping any Enhance progeny or selling to his customers. And he LOVES Cowboy up. Corrected to clarify he used 1682 daughters hoping to help Enhances rear and depth. Not Enhance to fix 1682. I wasn't clear enough.

Richnm said:
I sell hay to the Breeder of 3F Epic. Putting Epic aside, the guy knows cattle and knows how to breed. He told me Enhance calves weaned 100 pounds lighter than all the other calves and were weak mid rib to tail. He used Enhance on 1682 daughters thinking he could fix the his weak rear and depth. He said it didn't work. He is not keeping any Enhance progeny or selling to his customers. And he LOVES Cowboy up.
No wonder this guy doesn't know who is the dam for Epic, he's attempting to use Enhance to add depth and rear to cattle, both of which 1682 is known for and something Enhance isn't.....I'm being snarky. Since you know the breeder can you give us some insight as to who the real dam is for Epic?

Latest posts