Udder scores etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

Katpau

Reaction score
At one time some semen catalogs scored their bulls for there ability to pass on certain traits. They scored them on Udder attachment, teat size, leg angle, etc. I can't seem to find that any longer. Are there any catalogs out there that still reference phenotype. I see plenty of information on potential carcass quality, but seldom hear things like udders even mentioned. We are told not to select for single traits, and to always keep structure in mind, but it becomes more difficult when all you have are professional photo-shopped pictures and maybe some photos of yearling calves. A video is nice, but most only show a side view and there usually is deep grass or straw.

Nope, not going to find anything. Certain sector of the industry would prefer it to stay that way.

Best way to go about this, at this moment, is to go to a lot of sales, and go see for yourself. Keep notes on what animals you like or dislike, and then cull out the sires that way.

I always like to look at the female line behind his breeding. Udders are something i always keep in mind but proving to be tricky. What's worse is what someone calls a good udder and what i do are very different. A massive udder aint a good udder.

no truer statement than Redgully's comment about udder size. It has been proven that udder size has no correlation with amount of milking ability. I also find this post refreshing simply because the post uses the proper term "udder" rather than "bag." When I attended my AI class years ago when I was still in the dairy business, my instructor made it clear that a cow has an udder and a bag is what you carry your groceries home in. Because of the tone of his voice when he said that reminds me of how important it was to him.

my instructor made it clear that a cow has an udder and a bag is what you carry your groceries home in.
I'm a stickler for & appreciate correct terminology usage but it should be duly noted more than a few cows have udders that resemble grocery bags. :nod:
At one time some semen catalogs scored their bulls for there ability to pass on certain traits. They scored them on Udder attachment, teat size, leg angle, etc. I can't seem to find that any longer.
Years ago ABS provided this information. Suspect it was discontinued for a variety of reasons one of which was in numerous cases the small sample size of respective progeny performance evaluations and hence results were likely misleading not to mention some sires took a hit. :roll:
Can't be stressed enough...if economically important traits are a high priority you have two options: Develop such cattle within herd and use those genetics or patronize a breeder whose goals match your priorities. Its not rocket science.

I agree with your statement "patronize a breeder whose goals match your priorities", but it is proving more and more difficult to identify those breeders. It seems everyone is chasing weaning weights and marbling, often to the detriment of structure. I have been using AI to bring some diversity into my bloodlines, but most of my walking bulls are home raised and out of cows that have the udder structure I am looking for. Without the benefit of those evaluations, I am worried that my most recent semen purchases may be doing harm in that area. Time will tell I guess. If you have any breeders you think I should check out, I'd appreciate hearing suggestions.

I have been pretty diligent about udder quality and I would hate to lose it. Last year I culled two cows for udder issues, despite one being a Pathfinder with a 107% weaning ratio and the other a 109% weaning ratio. The second one was purchased as a bred heifer, so could not qualify for Pathfinder since her first calf was born too early to be included in that years contemporary group. The first cow had very poor attachment and the second one huge teats. I never saw her dam, as she had been culled as a DD carrier. It hurt to lose them, but I was not willing to take the chance I would have to assist a calf to nurse.

Dsth said:
no truer statement than Redgully's comment about udder size. It has been proven that udder size has no correlation with amount of milking ability. I also find this post refreshing simply because the post uses the proper term "udder" rather than "bag." When I attended my AI class years ago when I was still in the dairy business, my instructor made it clear that a cow has an udder and a bag is what you carry your groceries home in. Because of the tone of his voice when he said that reminds me of how important it was to him.

I'm relieved it wasn't called an "utter", or even worse, "Utters"

I've had a few cows that look like heifers when they're dry, only have a small udder when they're milking, and raise great calves. I don't mind a big udder, as long as it's well attached and she doesn't have to kick her teats out of the way to walk

I have a special hatred for bull catalogs where all the bulls are in 18" of straw, how the heck can you judge a bull that way? Of course they're going to look deep chested and long..

This cow was a good example, though there were other parts of her I'd improve

Two daughters, one with twins this year

Granddaughter, first timer, calf is 10 days old or so

Calf at 205 days, I was impressed

Maternal sister has quite an udder, and is the better cow overall, but the teats are a little big for perfection

Latest posts