Ha cowboy up results

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We used cowboy up last year and bred more cows to him. I'm just wondering how he has worked out for everyone and if they would use him again. I have really liked what we have so far

We really like them so far. We will calve a handful of heifers in the next 2-3 months. Only thing we haven't really cared for was a reddish tint to their hair.
They definitely outperform most of the other sire groups.

How is the docility? We are expecting 6 calves next spring to Cowboy Up. It was an example of asking our AI rep "what do you have in the tank?" Normally Cowboy Up wouldn't check many boxes for my operation, but I took a flier, so will be interesting to see how they perform.

Stickney94 said:
How is the docility? We are expecting 6 calves next spring to Cowboy Up. It was an example of asking our AI rep "what do you have in the tank?" Normally Cowboy Up wouldn't check many boxes for my operation, but I took a flier, so will be interesting to see how they perform.

They have been pretty docile for us. We did have one bull calf who was nervous in the pens, when working them. Our cattle are really docile because we cull anything with bad temperament though. I think it depends on how you handle them, and how much you are around them. He's one of my favorites as far as phenotype and growth that we've used. Similar growth to Resource, maybe a little more.

LCBulls said:
They have been pretty docile for us. We did have one bull calf who was nervous in the pens, when working them. Our cattle are really docile because we cull anything with bad temperament though. I think it depends on how you handle them, and how much you are around them. He's one of my favorites as far as phenotype and growth that we've used. Similar growth to Resource, maybe a little more.

Agreed on handling technique and docility -- no doubt. Are the Cowboy Ups a 5 frame or 6?

My hesitation on him has been the lack of milk in his daughters potentially. He has a milk epd of 10 which just isn't enough for us if we are going to retain his daughters. Has anyone had any experience with his daughters? I know that epd can be inaccurate...and his Acc on it is in the 60's...

Stickney94 said:
LCBulls said:

Agreed on handling technique and docility -- no doubt. Are the Cowboy Ups a 5 frame or 6?

I'd say or Cowboy Up calves average around 5.5 frame. A little bigger than Resources.