Cow won't eat or drink--??

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
I have a lowline angus that just calved a couple of days ago--(reference to my other post). Buried the fetus. Now we have new problems. She is in the process of expelling the placenta (it is hanging by a "thread"). But she will not eat or drink. Temp is 102. Ears up. Alert. Postpartum depression? :lol:

In all seriousness though, I don't want to lose her before I get her back to the sale barn. Anyone had this situation before?

if she does have a DA.... surgery. If it's an RDA (rare) she may well be dead in the morning. If it's an LDA with a partial twist she'll likely be fine until you get her to the sale barn; they can live several weeks like that. Just make sure she's designated for slaughter only.

Question though; are you certain she isn't eating or drinking? if so, how was that determined?

The hay we are offering is untouched and the water level hasn't changed. We have her separated from the other cattle to make sure she has no "sale barn bugs" to share with the rest of the herd. It is pretty easy to tell. I did notice her shivering, trembling, shaking last night and this morning. Could be the cold or stress. Also might be related somehow to her not eating?

yes call the vet now.really dounds like a DA to me as well.but it could also be an infection caused when she calved.esp since she had a dead calf.

When an animal quits eating and especially drinking you have two options, call a vet or shoot the animal. This poor cow needs intervention, hopefully she has gotten it before you read this post.

Victoria":17vc1pui said:
When an animal quits eating and especially drinking you have two options, call a vet or shoot the animal.
Maybe where you are from those are the only 2 options for a animal who has stopped eating and drinking. Here we have other options which don't cost any money or the loss of profit from shooting the animal surely you are not serious.

somn":258rggga said:
Victoria":258rggga said:
When an animal quits eating and especially drinking you have two options, call a vet or shoot the animal.
Maybe where you are from those are the only 2 options for a animal who has stopped eating and drinking. Here we have other options which don't cost any money or the loss of profit from shooting the animal surely you are not serious.

I'd sure like to know what those options are?? Something is seriously wrong if the animal is not eating or drinking. Way I see it, is that you need to get a vet out to find out what the problem is. Otherwise, you are just taking shots in the dark. The other option is to put the animal down, unless, you are going to sit there and watch the animal suffer and die?????????????????

I guess the only other option is to wait and see if the animal snaps out of it on it's own. Obviously not a good choice.. but if someone isn't willing to call a vet, what else can you do.

somn":2z7rejum said:
Victoria":2z7rejum said:

I was going to say the same thing, shooting the animal, way too extreme. I can think of a few things to do before you can get a Vet out, if its an infection, give her Lutalyze, ECP, give her some aspirin, to bring fever down, I would go with an infection first over a DA, just my thoughts, don't jump the gun and shoot her though, these things happen all the time with difficult births or dead calves. She may have a tear in hte uterus, even that if small enough isn't always fatal, best bet would be to have a Vet check her out.

GMN

somn":lt8do7zs said:
Victoria":lt8do7zs said:
I am perfectly serious. A cow that is not eating is sick, a cow that is not eating AND not drinking is on her way to the grave. A person either has to give that animal proper medical attention which would at least consulting a vet if for nothing else then to get the drugs or put the thing out of its' misery.
GMN has some good ideas of what could be wrong with it but let's face it we are on the internet we have not seen the cow. This is not a snotty nose, this is an animal that is not drinking. That is one of the worst signs and is not something to fool around with. Therefore the only advice I can give someone on the internet is either call the vet or shoot the animal.

Update. She is now drinking and did start eating again--not much but some. We did roll her yesterday and are administering antibiotics. She is perky and alert. She dropped the placenta (or so we think). Now we are seeing white hanging out--another calf???? Have contacted the vet to see if there is anything else we should be doing. We don't want to shoot her--I think she will be a good cow for someone. We definitely don't believe in letting her suffer if that is what we start seeing.

dburkhart":20b53to9 said:
Update. She is now drinking and did start eating again--not much but some. We did roll her yesterday and are administering antibiotics. She is perky and alert. She dropped the placenta (or so we think). Now we are seeing white hanging out--another calf???? Have contacted the vet to see if there is anything else we should be doing. We don't want to shoot her--I think she will be a good cow for someone. We definitely don't believe in letting her suffer if that is what we start seeing.

White hanging out, is it mucusy? This is classic sign of infection. I'd give her a vet recommended antibiotic, or have her infused by a Vet, or put tablets inside. How is her bag, is it hard as a rock or normal? If infection is it, and severe enough she may need IV antibiotcs. If she has a infection, and is treated appropriately she should recover fine, and be a back to normal again.

GMN

Vet thinks it is something she picked up at the sale barn--the mucos is normal afterbirth--cleaning out. He said nothing to worry about. We have already started her on antibiotics two days ago. It just takes time and I can be a little impatient at times.

Just to let you know--this little lowline is now up and running around all over the yard--healthy :nod: . She is eating and drinking and socializing with the other cattle. Of course with her size, she relates better to the calves. We don't dare put her in with the herd--if they jump her they'll break her back :-( We also gave her some meds to clean out. She will head back to the sale barn on Wednesday but in MUCH better condition than we bought her in. Thanks for all your help.

By the way Victoria--just to let you know--it is not our policy to let an animal suffer--or shoot her if we can heal her. Also, because we are in the business of cattle, we can't sell the ranch to the vet!

Latest posts