cow won't eat or drink

Help Support CattleToday:

K&P

Reaction score
We have a milking shorthorn/angus cow that is a third calver. She has been fresh about one month and is raising four calves. She suddenly stopped eating or drinking anything last evening. Her temperature is 101.6F. All she wants to do is lay down. Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of condition is she in (BCS score?) If she is milking enough for 4 calves, then she will be using a lot of energy and calcium!! Without knowing if she is in good shape or not, my first thoughts are either that she is too run down, or that she has milk fever.....

randiliana":39z5nosw said:
What kind of condition is she in (BCS score?) If she is milking enough for 4 calves, then she will be using a lot of energy and calcium!! Without knowing if she is in good shape or not, my first thoughts are either that she is too run down, or that she has milk fever.....

The cow is in very good condition and is milking plenty for the four calves. They are not running with her. They are put to her night and morning. She is not showing symtoms of milk fever. Would she get that this far into her lactation?

K&P":3ma0xcad said:
randiliana":3ma0xcad said:

The cow is in very good condition and is milking plenty for the four calves. They are not running with her. They are put to her night and morning. She is not showing symtoms of milk fever. Would she get that this far into her lactation?

I really don't know much about milk fever. I would talk to the vet about her.

randiliana":1mti9c15 said:
K&P":1mti9c15 said:
randiliana":1mti9c15 said:

I really don't know much about milk fever. I would talk to the vet about her.

Thank you for writing back. The first thing I did was to call a vet. My regular vet is on sebatical until June and the first vet I called did not get back to me. I tried again after hours and was directed to another service. When I called and left a message there, the reply was not promising. She was too busy to come out and did not have any real suggestions for me over the phone. Really, there is not a big animal vet in my area. The one I called is 60 miles away. This is why I am writing on line. Thank you for your imput.

K&P":1rfdiro0 said:
Thank you for writing back. The first thing I did was to call a vet. My regular vet is on sebatical until June and the first vet I called did not get back to me. I tried again after hours and was directed to another service. When I called and left a message there, the reply was not promising. She was too busy to come out and did not have any real suggestions for me over the phone. Really, there is not a big animal vet in my area. The one I called is 60 miles away. This is why I am writing on line. Thank you for your imput.

OK, you are welcome, I am sorry I couldn't have been more help.... hopefully someone else can help you out :)

DA - displaced abomasum. Basically twisted gut.

If the cow in question is getting up and down I think I'd rule out milk fever. Also since she's been fresh a month milk fever would be low on the list of possibilities.

Have a stethoscope? You can check for a DA by putting the stethoscope against her flank and ribs (check all over) and flicking your finger next to the stethoscope. A DA has a characteristic "ping" like flicking a tin can. Check the left side first - if I remember right, about 9 times out of 10, a DA is on the left side, not the right.

How about the rest of the cow's history? calving problems? twins? retained afterbirth? mastitis? What's she eating? grain? hay? grass? free choice? sounds like she's a nurse cow - ?

milkmaid":2933x43i said:
DA - displaced abomasum. Basically twisted gut.

If the cow in question is getting up and down I think I'd rule out milk fever. Also since she's been fresh a month milk fever would be low on the list of possibilities.

Have a stethoscope? You can check for a DA by putting the stethoscope against her flank and ribs (check all over) and flicking your finger next to the stethoscope. A DA has a characteristic "ping" like flicking a tin can. Check the left side first - if I remember right, about 9 times out of 10, a DA is on the left side, not the right.

How about the rest of the cow's history? calving problems? twins? retained afterbirth? mastitis? What's she eating? grain? hay? grass? free choice? sounds like she's a nurse cow - ?

This cow has had 3 calves and has never had any calving problems or any other medical problems. No twins. She is eating grass hay, grain, and grass. One other symtom that has become apparent is that she is not chewing cud. Her milk production has really dropped.

I'd have her checked for a DA.

Also, is this very sudden? Did it just come about or has she been dropping on milk and appetite for several days? completely off feed or just grain?

milkmaid":1vhlztxa said:
I'd have her checked for a DA.

Also, is this very sudden? Did it just come about or has she been dropping on milk and appetite for several days? completely off feed or just grain?

This was very sudden. She was fine 2 mornings ago and in the evening she wouldn't eat. She is again eating some hay and grain. I saw her grazing very briefly yesterday. We would have her checked for DA if we had a vet that would come out!

has she had access to plenty of minerals, specifically magnesium?

shes not by chance grazing clover?

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":uh4maue1 said:
Heck if i Was raising 4 calves I wouldnt want to do anything but lay there either. She is probably exhausted from raising 4 calves LOL.

once again you make jokes instead of give advice!

774 posts since jan 4 06 average of 8.70 posts per day and that is only the posts that count!

when do you have time to work your cattle, (oh that is right ) you have a herdsman to do that! my bad
no wonder you have time to make all the posts on you way to becoming a guru in record time

Beefy":2qcxjszv said:
has she had access to plenty of minerals, specifically magnesium?

shes not by chance grazing clover?

She has free assess to minerals and salt. She is not grazing on clover. She is grazing grass some and eating some grain, but is not chewing cud. Her milk production has gone down some and her temperature is just under 103.

K&P":10hqppj0 said:
She is grazing grass some and eating some grain, but is not chewing cud. Her milk production has gone down some and her temperature is just under 103.

I would think that not eating much or at all explains the lack of cud chewing. On an earlier post her temp seemed close to normal, however, 103 is close to becoming a big problem. At a calf temp of 104, our vet says to start treatment (when we saw evidence of low energy, droopy ears & such we would treat even at 103, usually for pneumonia). Could she have a case of silent pneumonia? In calves it comes on fast & can be fatal if not treated quickly. We use micatol & have always been able to save them. Only once have I treated a cow for respiratory problems & she could be heard (breathing) from across the pasture - treated her the same & achieved the same excellent results.

Latest posts