Cow won't breed

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
I have a five year old cow on great body condition. Raising a great calf. She was So and didn't take (not a huge deal) 3 weeks later the bull inseminated her. 3 weeks later back in heat. 3 weeks later another heat. She is only cow who is still open as bull already bred everyone else. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cystic ovary, uterine infection, injury from calving.
If your vet can ultrasound her you should be able to see if everything is ok. And if not then you can decide what plan of action to take, if any.
Sounds like if she gets bred back she will be way out of sink with the group.

What Buck said. They usually show strong heats. Usually an easy fix. Give a shot of GNRH. Need to get it from a vet.

Good luck.

Farmgirl

gcreekrch said:
Gone, gone, gone and I'll bid her my last farewell...🎶🎶🎶

A cow who won't breed around here will find herself at McDonalds real quick. An old cowman once told me if you quit making excuses for your cows pretty soon you will have cows that you don't have to make excuses for.

Forgot to post an update for this cow. She showed heat again three weeks later. We had vet come out for a possible ovarian cyst. Vet checked her and said she was actually pregnant! She is a few months bred to the herd bull. She continued to show heat signs. Thankful for a best case scenario. Thankful I vet checked her, looking forward to good calves from her in the future.

Dave said:
gcreekrch said:
Gone, gone, gone and I'll bid her my last farewell...🎶🎶🎶

A cow who won't breed around here will find herself at McDonalds real quick. An old cowman once told me if you quit making excuses for your cows pretty soon you will have cows that you don't have to make excuses for.

I like that line. Another one I heard often, when speaking of a cow that was questionable: "There's too many good cattle in the country to keep that one."

MRRherefords said:
Forgot to post an update for this cow. She showed heat again three weeks later. We had vet come out for a possible ovarian cyst. Vet checked her and said she was actually pregnant! She is a few months bred to the herd bull. She continued to show heat signs. Thankful for a best case scenario. Thankful I vet checked her, looking forward to good calves from her in the future.

Good news! We had two cows show heat signs and being pregnant so far. One had a whole bunch of bull calves following her for the whole autumn from time to time, but she has calved in March next year. Another saw being followed and ridden by the mature bull one month before her due date. She calved one month later with a healthy heifer calf.

Had a jersey one year that wound up getting preg checked 4 times because she kept showing heats... but was bred to the first AI breeding. She was from an old family line here and I wanted to keep the bloodline so was very upset when she showed that heat after being confirmed preg. But all was well. Sometimes you just get one like that. Preg check is the best way to go, and if they are open.... somebody will have meat....

Latest posts