Cow with Rabies?!

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA":1y8ygz4d said:
Workinonit Farm":1y8ygz4d said:
JW IN VA":1y8ygz4d said:
I took the shots in '02.Still waiting on my tag to put on my collar. :D

I went through the series of shots, back in '99. I get my titer checked every couple of years or so.

Did your county send you a tag? They give one for the dogs-I thought I got ripped off :? :D

No tag. :lol: Wish I did though. ;-)

Margonme":36tf0xgg said:
skyhightree1":36tf0xgg said:
Many on this board know I had rabid calf and what I had to go through. Definitely check vet all my cows and calves are vaccinated.

Sky, what vaccine are you using? Or are you having a vet perform the vaccination. Rabies vaccines are regulated by state. Some states require it to be administered by a vet and/or a prescription. It is a killed virus preparation so there is not a risk to humans but for whatever reason, it is regulated. For example, in Kentucky, I can vaccinate my dogs myself for everything except rabies. I have to go to my vet to have it performed there.

Margo , I use think its called imrab but don't quote me... No I can order it and administer it myself the difference is I don't have a certificate from a vet to make it official but he uses the same stuff on his cattle.

skyhightree1":3jt7mvfi said:
Margonme":3jt7mvfi said:
skyhightree1":3jt7mvfi said:
Many on this board know I had rabid calf and what I had to go through. Definitely check vet all my cows and calves are vaccinated.

Sky, what vaccine are you using? Or are you having a vet perform the vaccination. Rabies vaccines are regulated by state. Some states require it to be administered by a vet and/or a prescription. It is a killed virus preparation so there is not a risk to humans but for whatever reason, it is regulated. For example, in Kentucky, I can vaccinate my dogs myself for everything except rabies. I have to go to my vet to have it performed there.

Margo , I use think its called imrab but don't quote me... No I can order it and administer it myself the difference is I don't have a certificate from a vet to make it official but he uses the same stuff on his cattle.

Thank you. I am considering vaccinating mine. It never occurred to me how serious it can be until your comment and this thread about what you had to go through.

Margonme":yids4fnj said:
skyhightree1":yids4fnj said:
Margonme":yids4fnj said:

Thank you. I am considering vaccinating mine. It never occurred to me how serious it can be until your comment and this thread about what you had to go through.

I learned it's cheap insurance and gives you a piece of mind.

Do you think it can be cause from head trauma? Either way, so sorry!
I am surprised a vet would not have come right out...

JW IN VA":m085t068 said:
MRRherefords":m085t068 said:
Margonme":m085t068 said:
It does sound like rabies. Keep in mind that the cow could have been infected in the fall. The virus could have been dormant or inactive until recently. I would call the vet immediately.
x2
+1

X3!

Bloody nose could be any number of things, including an injury from her beating around and acting, well, like a rabid cow! :lol2:

Definitely isolate her, stay away from her saliva/fluids and get a vet involved. Wether you do end up disposing of her or if she dies naturally, I'd say take her to a lab or have your vet get some samples for testing so you know for sure. If it does end up being rabies, vaccinating your other animals and watching them closely might also be an option depending on the risk to the rest of the herd.

Well the cow came back negative for rabies... More testing is being done at NDSUs Lab... Will let you all know what they figure out...

holm25":1wowqz88 said:
Well the cow came back negative for rabies... More testing is being done at NDSUs Lab... Will let you all know what they figure out...

Thank you. That is good.

SIMMGAL":svmubjf9 said:
Glad it wasn't rabies! I'm curious to know what they find!

Me too. Obviously, the cow died. He said it was down with muzzle in the snow. I assume it expired without assistance.

Yes the cow died on her own. We didnt put her out of her misery as sge was to the point that by the time we would hsve gotten back with a gun she would have been dead.

Do you feed corn sileage? We lost one several years ago to sileage poising. The symptons are identical to rabies. The only way to tell the difference is with a brain test.

If your animal presents frothing (foaming or drooling), limping and vocalisation, rabies would be very high on my list of differentials.

In French, they are called the three "B's" (bave, boite, beugle: drooling, limping and vocalisation).

Well the lab tested for just about everything and theyre stumped. Everything came back negative so they sent it to the state and theyre stumped too...

Discouraging when they can't figure it out. Lost 12 cows last spring after moving them to a new paddock in rotational grazing. Did tests, for over 700 things on list. Came back with 3 possibilities. Blackleg like symptoms in the 4 that survived so maybe that, Acute Bovine Pulmonary Edema, and I forget the exact wording but some kind of poisoning from the lush green grass. Nothing definite, $1200 of vet bills, 12 dead cows and lost 3 more of the calves as they were in that 8 +/- week window and they wouldn't eat well and would not take bottles, and just "quit" without their mommas. Spent nearly $400 on shots, antibiotics etc to save the 4 cows and the bull, plus lost breeding season on the cows. AND STILL DON"T KNOW. So I can really feel your frustration. We are going to use only medicated mineral at this place with monensin (rumensin) per vet advice. I still think it was in the water but the sample only got tested for a very few things and I think that a clostridial was the culprit. No one here tests for that and couldn't find a lab to get it sent to that does.
We have used this pasture for over 5 years prior to this so it wasn't like it was a new place with unknowns...had used the first 2 paddocks, moved them into the third ( of 5 divisions). Only difference was water in the first 2 is one source, a developed spring; water in the next three was a different source, a well, and I think with all the rain there was a seepage as the water was cloudy...but was told that I really had no reason to suspect that.
Sure hope that they come up with something for you.

Latest posts