Cow with Rabies?!

Help Support CattleToday:

A few years ago a local rancher lost quite a few cattle from toxic algae in their pond (blue green algae is common around here). Symptoms are not unlike rabies & poisoning from other toxins and can be hard to detect without evaluating the environment.

farmerjan":j0c65y27 said:
Discouraging when they can't figure it out. Lost 12 cows last spring after moving them to a new paddock in rotational grazing. Did tests, for over 700 things on list. Came back with 3 possibilities. Blackleg like symptoms in the 4 that survived so maybe that, Acute Bovine Pulmonary Edema, and I forget the exact wording but some kind of poisoning from the lush green grass. Nothing definite, $1200 of vet bills, 12 dead cows and lost 3 more of the calves as they were in that 8 +/- week window and they wouldn't eat well and would not take bottles, and just "quit" without their mommas. Spent nearly $400 on shots, antibiotics etc to save the 4 cows and the bull, plus lost breeding season on the cows. AND STILL DON"T KNOW. So I can really feel your frustration. We are going to use only medicated mineral at this place with monensin (rumensin) per vet advice. I still think it was in the water but the sample only got tested for a very few things and I think that a clostridial was the culprit. No one here tests for that and couldn't find a lab to get it sent to that does.
We have used this pasture for over 5 years prior to this so it wasn't like it was a new place with unknowns...had used the first 2 paddocks, moved them into the third ( of 5 divisions). Only difference was water in the first 2 is one source, a developed spring; water in the next three was a different source, a well, and I think with all the rain there was a seepage as the water was cloudy...but was told that I really had no reason to suspect that.
Sure hope that they come up with something for you.

Had a similar deal, where I used to work. Of a group of over 200 cows, at least 20 dead, and another 40 ill. Lots of testing for everything. Finally tested the water. Water tested positive for at least 2 types of Salmonella. It was suspected to have been contaminated by birds or some other wildlife. The water was in those large concrete waterers, supplied by "springs" .

@Workinonit Farm ; Thing is, the "spring water" in the large concrete troughs is where we DIDN"T have any problem...then we moved them to the field with the well water, closed water troughs with the balls they push down, ritchie fountains I think, and that is where we had the problems. And to top it off the vet that took the water sample said they couldn't get anything from it. But, there were no tests run for anything except the standard heavy metals and what all they run for household well testing. I was livid that they didn't test for coliform and salmonella and anything else that could be possible. One thing, we do keep goldfish in all the "open" concrete troughs, and from what little research I have been able to find, there doesn't seem to be the disease problem in water sources with the fish, and when the water is free flowing in and out. Maybe a big coincidence. Plus the spring is strong enough that the water constantly runs in and out the overflow so is never stagnant.

If you don't mind, do you know where the water samples were tested? Our local lab here doesn't test for any of that, they told me there was a lab in MN ( or maybe IA) they thought that I might try to find out. I really want to have it tested next year if we have a wet season again, or after any heavy rain when the water seems to be "cloudy" or muddy to see what all is going on. I think there is a vein that gets into the well and contaminates it.

I hate the closed, ball type waterers. The wildlife used to come to the pond before the new owner closed and piped the spring to the water troughs. Lost all the fish and frogs and salamanders and everything. Sure, deer can carry diseases, but at least they do come drink out of the trough, they don't , can't , won't use the ball waterers. And by being dependent on the well, means electricity, and the spring fed one is gravity....

farmerjan":287hhl23 said:
@Workinonit Farm ;

If you don't mind, do you know where the water samples were tested? Our local lab here doesn't test for any of that, they told me there was a lab in MN ( or maybe IA) they thought that I might try to find out.

Off hand, I don't remember. I have a message out to the former herdsman, to see if he remembers. It may have been a lab in Harrisonburg. When I hear back, I'll let you know.

Workinonit Farm":2rzylr6c said:
farmerjan":2rzylr6c said:
@Workinonit Farm ;

If you don't mind, do you know where the water samples were tested? Our local lab here doesn't test for any of that, they told me there was a lab in MN ( or maybe IA) they thought that I might try to find out.

Off hand, I don't remember. I have a message out to the former herdsman, to see if he remembers. It may have been a lab in Harrisonburg. When I hear back, I'll let you know.

Edited to add:
I just heard back from him, he wasn't 100% sure, but thinks it was the state lab. Most likely the one in Harrisonburg.

Besides testing for metals, etc., I think you needs to request specific tests for salmonella (the various types) and coliform etc.

Thanks for the info/lead. I am going to talk to them at the state lab here one day that I am up that way, and see just what I can get it tested for. We have taken stuff up there for autopsies and all, and know kimberly with the poultry div as she and one of the other guys usually comes to the poultry shows to check the birds, and for papers etc from the different tests that are required to be done to be able to show the chickens. Thanks again.

farmerjan":302kve2n said:
Thanks for the info/lead. I am going to talk to them at the state lab here one day that I am up that way, and see just what I can get it tested for. We have taken stuff up there for autopsies and all, and know kimberly with the poultry div as she and one of the other guys usually comes to the poultry shows to check the birds, and for papers etc from the different tests that are required to be done to be able to show the chickens. Thanks again.

You're welcome. :D I hope you can get some of the answers you're looking for.

Latest posts