cow with enlarged navel area

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
have a cow that just calved 2 days ago... everything normal until today... She has what I would call a big "sac" coming down right in her naval area, I havent run her in the chute yet but it appears to be soft, moves much like her udder does when she walks, like its filled with fluid.... probably about the size of 2 grapefruits... any idea what this is? Thanks

lukem86":22i8syu3 said:
have a cow that just calved 2 days ago... everything normal until today... She has what I would call a big "sac" coming down right in her naval area, I havent run her in the chute yet but it appears to be soft, moves much like her udder does when she walks, like its filled with fluid.... probably about the size of 2 grapefruits... any idea what this is? Thanks

Does it look like the milk vain?She could have a ruptured milk vein or an injury of it some how.Not really sure of the treatments though it has been a while since of have seen a cow with a ruptured milk vein.Can you post a pic?If she at all in any way have an elevated temperature and not quite herself call your vet by the time you get an accurate response here be might be to late.

Give it some time. One of our cows had the same issue. The vet told us that it was just inflamation. It was gone in about a week.

Thanks for the replies.... it didnt seem to be bothering her today, which is why i didnt call the vet yet. She appears to be a heavy milker, bag has been very full so far... even with the calf on her...

It'll probably take a week for her to return to normal... maybe two weeks.

We have had this happen twice this spring. Both times it went down with no intervention in about two weeks. One was quite big and it must have been tender. My daughter tried to palpate it and got kicked! She had been reluctant to let her calf nurse and kicked him every time he head butted her. Now we lnow why!

Latest posts