Enlarged navel

Help Support CattleToday:

Not seeing a picture.
Does it feel hard/swollen?
Any signs of discomfort like kicking up with its hind legs, or licking its sides, laying around a lot.
We treat with LA 200 or LA 300, have used Nuflor

I have not put my hands on him. Plan to do that in the am. I saw him nursing just before dark. Not running and playing but not dragging around either. Have LA300 on hand. Is that something to give? What temp should I consider fever?

Last edited:
U need to get on it asap!
LA is one treatment for sure. It APPEARS to be an infected navel. Feel of it. Will feel like a stump, for lack of a better term.
Restrain the calf and LOOK at it. May possibly see a yellowish infection. It could also be a herniated umbilical.

If your not knowledgeable, get it to your vet.

THAT can turn into THIS! And you DON'T WANT THIS!!
Screenshot_20231117-211502_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231117-211408_Gallery.jpg

Good catch! Glad you got on it. Keep a close eye on that calf. I never assume the first treatment will lick it. Keep us posted.

Have cow and calf in a small trap for easy access. I think there is pus in navel. Would you lance it?

Will update.

Thanks!
How comfortable are you lancing it? Yes, it should be lanced, but if you've already contacted your vet for RX antibiotics, would it make sense to just bring him in? And if you're doing it yourself, I'd hold off until you get the RX & discuss w/your vet. Contingent on which antibiotics your vet prescribes, I'd definitely want something for the fever/pain/swelling (i.e. Banamine unless you're using Resflor Gold or Draxxin KP).

Have cow and calf in a small trap for easy access. I think there is pus in navel. Would you lance it?

Will update.

Thanks!
The last one I had with navel infected and puss, we shot up with LA
Weird thing was, in the rump with it, per instruction.

We did NOT Lance. It went away with one treatment fortunately. Maybe we caught it just in the nick of time.

For sure, keep a weather eye on the horizon! And your vet handy...

I don't believe it! I've still got the pics!
That puspocket burst on its own. Yes. It's a heifer.
Screenshot_20231118-222725_Gallery.jpg
Freemartin at that.
Funny looking lil potty.
Screenshot_20231118-222750_Gallery.jpg
THIS is the cow I spent weeks and weeks grafting this calf on. She did it tho! My very first successful calf graft. She lost her first calf. She's a first calf heifer in this pic. I still got the cow. She's had 6? calves
Screenshot_20231118-222738_Gallery.jpg
Yes...
I know.
I fed her WAYYYY too much

Last edited:
Update on calf. Temp was 103.6 today. Gave banamine and LA300. Examined the area. Does not appear to have pus. Did not lance. No outer wounds except for a small round red spot. About the size of the end of my little finger. Will continue to monitor. Still have cow and calf in grass trap but feel it is on the mend. May not temp or treat tomorrow since we are expecting rain and bad weather.

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts