Navel dip

Help Support CattleToday:

WFfarm

Reaction score
I've found that this is the best container for navel dipping umbilical cords with iodine on newborn calves. Wide mouth, ergonomic to hold on to and strong heavy plastic.

1710876698330.png

Good idea. That's a good size. Looks a lot more durable than the solo cup I usually use too. Lol

Studies done 30 years ago with colostrum-deprived foals showed that more 'joint-ill' cases resulted from bacteria entering through the soft, rubbery soles of neonatal hooves than through the umbilicus. Researchers recommended dipping/spraying hooves as an aid in diminishing issues. After seeing that presentation, we began to spray navels and feet on all calves or foals that we attended delivery on. If you're doing the navel, it doesn't take but a few seconds more to do the feet.

Studies done 30 years ago with colostrum-deprived foals showed that more 'joint-ill' cases resulted from bacteria entering through the soft, rubbery soles of neonatal hooves than through the umbilicus. Researchers recommended dipping/spraying hooves as an aid in diminishing issues. After seeing that presentation, we began to spray navels and feet on all calves or foals that we attended delivery on. If you're doing the navel, it doesn't take but a few seconds more to do the feet.
I never dip, but I use a spray bottle for the iodine. Or used I should say. My last mare to foal was in 2006 or 7. Hooves and naval. I never thought of doing that to a calf, though. Makes sense, and it costs virtually nothing to do.

Latest posts