Cow vs Heifer BWs

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
First two AI calves off of the same bull just hit the ground off of a 13 year old mamma and her 3 year old first time daughter.
Daughter bred 5/12/2012 calved 02/09/2013 273 days BW 45 pounds bull calf.
Mamma bred 5/12/2012 calved 02/13/2013 276 days BW 67 pounds bull calf.
Both pure bred.
Both calves up and running with no issues.
I expect the heifers calf to be lighter but this is my first year to actually weigh.
Is 30% a common weight range to differ from cow to first timer in your experience?
I'm not surprised or concerned, just curious. I've never looked at it in numbers before.
Thanks.

I'll tell you more this year... Our heifer bull from the last few years was with cows this year. I think it will depend on the cow/s, but it is generally believed that a heifer will have a lighter calf than a cow. How much lighter, I don't know though.

Typically, the 1-st timer will have a smaller calf.
Sure, these calves are sired by the same bull - but 'daughter' and 'mama' aren't full sibs; BW epds for those two may be quite different.

But...wife and I were looking over records this morning. Examined performance of several years' worth of data on some full-sibling calves(by the same bull out of same cow) for several years - often, there's a big difference in performance from one year to the next.
Kinda like my own kids - the eldest son is 6'2"/220#, weighed 9.9# at birth; #2 son is 5'11/150#, weighed 7.7# at birth. Same sire and dam, different genetic expression.

I raise polled herefords. 2 year old heifers I find will be 65-75lbs. 30 month to 3 year first calf heifers were 73-83. Cows were 75-90. Now that is based on management and Ai bulls selected.