cow showing signs...

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
I have a cow that is due with her second calf on May 3rd, according to the gestation chart. I noticed today that she has "snotty" stuff hanging from her vulva. At what point would her calf be considered not premature? Should I be concerned if she would go into labor at this point? She had no problems with her first calf.

Slime hanging isn;t alwasy an indicaor of impending labor. 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after the expected due date is still considered on time. More then 3 weeks early and I'ld be concerned.

dun

Some show a dischare a couple of months before calving...sticks to everythisg right?
When the discharge is clear and heavy and isn't sticky it is her mucus plug and birth will be in a matter of hours or days or with old Boss Cow a week.
DMc

Our's did the same thing started 3 or 4 week's prior to calveing. Just kept a a close eye on her youll be fine.

rattler

I always tell folks you CANNOT predict - only Mom, Mom Nature and God can do that. And Mom can't do it real accurate.

Everything will unfold in due time.

8)

Bez>

Bez>":21y7xcl5 said:
I always tell folks you CANNOT predict - only Mom, Mom Nature and God can do that. And Mom can't do it real accurate.

Everything will unfold in due time.

8)

Bez>

Well said Bez>

some start 6 weeks early stringing and some hardly string at all. it is hard to judge by just one sign, bagging up, springing and dicharge, also the back end tends to tilt when the calf gets into position.

Latest posts