Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Someone was predicting bred cattle prices last year and I thought that was a little far fetch. Cow calf pairs too.

OMG. I have seen it. Unbelievable pricing for females. A decent young gal with ear is ringing the bell.

I was in the market for a brangus bull for well over 6 weeks. I can't touch a quality bull. Cheapest thing I found was $3K and he was not going to work by any means. A buyer chased some quality bulls to $5K for me and had no success.

I bought a registered polled Char. Young bull and I like him. We'll see. Maybe no rat tails on those smokies.

Maybe AI some of my grafted brangus cows and grow a herdsire prospect. Sell the cow.

Maybe I will come across a good bull or trade for one.

Maybe it is time to sell out with prices being what they are? It seems I have exactly what the local market is looking for.

Boogie I've been getting a lot of emails about brangus sales recently. Haven't paid much attetnion to them since I'm not in the market but seems everyone does have some good bulls for sale.

I pulled up to the sale a few days ago to drop off a slick that's been haunting me for the last year and I had to wait while they loaded three trucks with kill cows. When I finally got to drop him I was told that all three trucks were headed to Texas and that that's the first time that that has happened... Bulls there must be worth more for beef than they are for breeding.

With Slaughter Bulls bring this kind of price its going to be hard to find a young bull for less than 2500 thats any good ..

Slaughter Bulls:
Head Weight Average Dress High Dress Low Dress
Y.G. 1-2 19 1350-2040 109.00-111.50 113.50-115.00 100.00-103.00
Very High 120.00; Very Low 94.50-96.50

backhoeboogie":2sndtwf3 said:
Someone was predicting bred cattle prices last year and I thought that was a little far fetch. Cow calf pairs too.

OMG. I have seen it. Unbelievable pricing for females. A decent young gal with ear is ringing the bell.

I was in the market for a brangus bull for well over 6 weeks. I can't touch a quality bull. Cheapest thing I found was $3K and he was not going to work by any means. A buyer chased some quality bulls to $5K for me and had no success.

I bought a registered polled Char. Young bull and I like him. We'll see. Maybe no rat tails on those smokies.

Maybe AI some of my grafted brangus cows and grow a herdsire prospect. Sell the cow.

Maybe I will come across a good bull or trade for one.

Maybe it is time to sell out with prices being what they are? It seems I have exactly what the local market is looking for.

I have an Obama bull I will sell you. ;-)

If its an Obama bull you have to have it taken away from you and given to someone else. You can't benefit by selling it.

TexasBred":3qp6vphl said:
backhoeboogie":3qp6vphl said:
Papers are a little fishy.
At least we know dam well it won't be a balancer. :cowboy:

Might not be a balancer, but its an F1 for sure... :banana: :banana: :banana:

cow pollinater":2w9ciiw8 said:
I pulled up to the sale a few days ago to drop off a slick that's been haunting me for the last year and I had to wait while they loaded three trucks with kill cows. When I finally got to drop him I was told that all three trucks were headed to Texas and that that's the first time that that has happened... Bulls there must be worth more for beef than they are for breeding.

ALL classes of cattle are higher than a cat's back in Texas. On Monday at the sale in Decatur, young pairs were $1190 - $1975; mid-age pairs, $1025-$1830. Big bulls ( 1400-2000 pouns) were .99 - 1.09/pound. That's an incredible salvage value on a bull.

Those kind of pair prices have me thinking about selling off all the grown cows and just keeping my small group of heifers I hung on to last year. Between the drought and wildfires in '09 and last year's h*ll on earth, we've culled down to the bone. We've cut our numbers by more than 70%. Decisions, decisions.

yes cows an heifers are higher than catsback.i got an email the other day an bout fell over at the prices they want for cattle.hers a sample of the prices 71hd of F1 braford pairs 3 an 4yrs old $2700 a pair.30 reg brangus an 5 ultra black brangus-angus open heifers $1650 a hd.34 hd comm beefmaster open est wt 650 for $1225ea.i could bought a reg 2yr old beefmaster bull with bloodlines that i like for prolly $1700 as he sold for $1550 last sat.

Caustic Burno":19z2w2wy said:
1982vett":19z2w2wy said:
If its an Obama bull you have to have it taken away from you and given to someone else. You can't benefit by selling it.

I figured I would redistribute Boogie's wealth.

But do you know when and where this bull was born?

Dave":1y0rvirb said:
Caustic Burno":1y0rvirb said:
1982vett":1y0rvirb said:

I figured I would redistribute Boogie's wealth.

But do you know when and where this bull was born?

That's irrelevant we have his papers that say what they need to.

Must be some baldie or smokie in him. He's got some white in him, just not the right mix. Sure not worth much to me.

highgrit":nht2sgpv said:
Must be some baldie or smokie in him. He's got some white in him, just not the right mix. Sure not worth much to me.

At least you can rest assurd he will be with large ears and should fair pretty well in your climate.

Cal

Latest posts