cow overdue

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't see inception so I don't know the gestation count but I had a cow that went about two weeks from the time I noticed what was going on. She was dialated and heavy bag for the two weeks. Finally took her to the vet where he did a "C" section. Cow and calf did fine. It was her first calf. I sold both of them last month.

I helped to manifest the problem with her large calf last year - being her first one, I put her in a pen & run-in shed area, and gave her grain - more then she should have had, so this time I held her off of grain. She was looking a little small for the amount of time she had before calving, so my husband decided she needed some grain, just a little everyday - wow has she packed on the weight quickly. I remember him saying "she won't gain that much weight 'til the calf is born" We all make decisions you wish you could change later -- I wish we had kept her off the grain then I wouldn't worry so much about the size of the calf.
An overfat cow with a late calf, probably a big calf, would give me concern too. I never feed my cows to get them fat, especially before they deliver. That's asking for trouble. I'd say induce her if you can handle pulling a big calf without assistance since your vets are hard to get, or take her in to the vet for a possible cesarean.

I say this with some reservations. I normally advocate letting nature take its course, but can't see a downside to helping this one along as long as it really is full term.

An overfat cow with a late calf, probably a big calf, would give me concern too. I never feed my cows to get them fat, especially before they deliver. That's asking for trouble. I'd say induce her if you can handle pulling a big calf without assistance since your vets are hard to get, or take her in to the vet for a possible cesarean.

I say this with some reservations. I normally advocate letting nature take its course, but can't see a downside to helping this one along as long as it really is full term.

I'm pretty sure the problem has worked itself out by now. 😉 It's been over 15 years.

I'm pretty sure the problem has worked itself out by now. 😉 It's been over 15 years.
LOL... Damn... I keep getting hooked into these ancient threads because I don't notice the dates. At least I'm offering some comic relief.

I wonder what happened?

And why did the thread pop up in my "Latest Posts"? Oh... I see it now.

It is actually interesting to go back and read some of the old post, some of them are the same problem, different time.
Different views, solutions and outcomes. Some of the old post were never updated, that is what I appreciate about those
that update everyone about the outcome of certain situations. I haven't had to deal with sick animals for years, and there
are new (new to me) meds being used, I have never heard of.

Latest posts