Cow losing weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Finally caught this girl and got her to the vet. He looked her over, normal temp clear lungs etc. Vet does not think it is metalbut we did the magnets anyway just in case. We told the vet about our devil's walking sticks. It is a thorn tree that produces thorns that can puncture fluid filled tractor tires. He thinks she may have eaten one of those. She is eating fine now and seems to be on the mend. She is definitely being watched now as a possible cull. Got her penned on orchard grass and fescue hay and getting 3 a day of grain. Thanks for the inputs and guidance. Vet says she will gain the weight back or will die but as long as she eats give her some time to see if she gains it back. We will see.

Jerry,
Thanks. I thought about that but didn't know how probable that was. But you would think that if the stomach twisted because of rolling over or laying funny then it could be manually untwisted as well. The vet manually untwistes it when he does the surgery. She seems to be doing fine now and slowly gaining again. I am still keeping her at the top of the cull list though.

We've got a cow similar to this. She has been vet checked, complete work up, wormed, shots, all that we know to do, and she will not gain weight. She looks like she is starving. Don't know what else to do with her. She eats good, we even put her up by herself and fed her for a month, to no avail. We turned her back out with the rest of the herd, she's still hanging in there. Young cow at that.

Brenda, What is her breed? Did she ever look good? Is she bred? If so how many months? Mine looked like she had been pulled down some by her calf in October, in December she would score a 4-5 for BCS and was really looking good going into our winter months. Now she is looking rough like yours. Strange isn't it? Did your vet give you any things to try? Mine gave her a shot of Penicillin and said she would die or live. Good luck. I said thanks. No since putting her on the market right now though as I doubt she would live to get the kill barn. Will see what happens. Who knows.

well she was doing fine, gaining weight back slowly, then cold snap walla dead. But at least she didn't suffer. Oh well couldn't of lost her if I didn't have her.

hillbillycwo":1o0s924a said:
well she was doing fine, gaining weight back slowly, then cold snap walla dead. But at least she didn't suffer. Oh well couldn't of lost her if I didn't have her.

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the update.

Katherine

Latest posts