Cow Laying Down

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
Boy, Have I got a problem. I have a cow that won't eat the cubes I put out. She just lays down and (like a dog , puts her head on the ground., won't eat the cubes. She has that look like, " Dude, I don't feel worth a poop. Eyes seem to be clear, but droopy. Haven't wormed yet this year. You think? Ugliest cow I have but throws a beautiful BULL calf everytime. She's the ugliest but most productive cow I have. Will call the vet in the morn. but thought I would ask the experts. Thanks for any quick responses.

Dick

couple more questions:
what is she on for feed? Or what was she on before she felt this way?
Grain?
Hay?
Grass?
Combination?
could she have gotten into the grain without your permission?
Hardware in the pasture?
Plastic twine in the pasture?
Fever?
Guess that is more than a couple of questions

My best guess is a tooth problem.
Be sure the vet checks her teeth.

How old is she?
SL

icandoit":11qhfmyv said:
Boy, Have I got a problem. I have a cow that won't eat the cubes I put out. She just lays down and (like a dog , puts her head on the ground., won't eat the cubes. She has that look like, " Dude, I don't feel worth a poop. Eyes seem to be clear, but droopy. Haven't wormed yet this year. You think? Ugliest cow I have but throws a beautiful BULL calf everytime. She's the ugliest but most productive cow I have. Will call the vet in the morn. but thought I would ask the experts. Thanks for any quick responses.

Dick

Dick is she staying down all the time? Does she have laboered breathing, runny nose? If you can't get the vet on the way it sure wouldn't hurt to pop her with 20cc of LA200. Real hard to diagnose a bovine on an internet chat board with this little of info.
If she is down you need to get on some antibotics and get her up.

I guess I didn't give enough info. She did have labored breathing and when the vet came out yesterday morning, he checked her temp,100 degrees, and gave her a shot of LA. Wormed her and the rest of the cows after he left. Checked on her in the PM and she was up and bellering at me for some cubes that she missed out on the other day. Thanks for the responses my friends. I knew I came to the right place. By the way, we just put up a 1700' 5 wire fence, so it's possible she got into something. The cows are just on grass with come cubes every 10 days or so, that gives me a chance to look at them up close.

Thanks Again
Dick

Is it just me, or does it seem strange to anyone else that a vet would use LA200 for pnuemonia? Seems like a weak cure to me. Baytril, Nuflor, Mycotil all seem like they might work better, but maybe the LA200 will work for you.

Make sure you keep a careful eye on her.. sometimes they will look better for a day or two, and then relapse.

Latest posts