Cow in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred Belknap

Reaction score
I have an older cow that had a calf and the next day she came in heat. The bull and steers were about to kill the new born calf. I got her in a lot separated from the rest of the herd. Cow and calf are doing fine there. I'm wondering how long to keep her separated? I never had this to happen before, never even heard of it.

Was she standing or were they just riding and chasing? Sometimes those fresh birthing hormone smells screw up bulls (and some cows). That's another reason for seperating the bulls fomr the calving herd.

dun":n5kf00rj said:
Was she standing or were they just riding and chasing? Sometimes those fresh birthing hormone smells screw up bulls (and some cows). That's another reason for seperating the bulls fomr the calving herd.

Dun chance is you are right. She wouldn't stand and I thought something like you said might be going on. I have never seen it before. Thanks for your reply.

Fred Belknap":3lneiem6 said:
dun":3lneiem6 said:

Dun chance is you are right. She wouldn't stand and I thought something like you said might be going on. I have never seen it before. Thanks for your reply.
A couple of years ago we had a cow that was soon to calve and all of the other cows rode her mercilessly. We finally separated her and a coule of hours later she had twins. That's what makes me suspect hormone smells.

I have noticed that the common behaviour is for a calving cow to get off on its own but not too far from the herd. In times gone by there would be wolves and other predators all around the fringes of the herd .

Today we probably restrict this at times by putting herds into smaller and smaller paddocks. Personally I prefer the instant biological activity that occurs when cows are intensively graised in a small paddock so the cows are forced to stay together with a bull in there too..

I had a braford cross first calver calve the 24th of August and I pulled the bull the first of September. And about nine months later she had her second calf.

I had a 7 month old heifer get bred by a 2000 lb bull... would have like to see that!.. she had a calf in july, and was bred back in august, we kept her for 4 years and had 4 calves from her... not too shabby, but they were TINY

Latest posts