Cow hobbles

Help Support CattleToday:

Lon

Reaction score
i got a call from my father in law yesterday. i havent been out there for about 4 days cause he took a few days off and was the weekend to boot. so he said he has a hiefer that he couldnt get to take a calf. he left her in a small dark pen, tried skinning the old calf and tying to the one grafting on and a few other things i cant think of off hand. said she would let him suck once in awhile from back but yesterday just kept trying to get away from him. i asked him why he didnt just hobble her and he said he didnt have cow hobbles. so i drove out there put a set of hobbles that i have for horses on her. I guess my question is what are hobbles made specifically for cows and how are they different? i would imagine if they perform the same task they shouldnst look that much different. thanks ahead of time

Lon":rnmo26hw said:
i got a call from my father in law yesterday. i havent been out there for about 4 days cause he took a few days off and was the weekend to boot. so he said he has a hiefer that he couldnt get to take a calf. he left her in a small dark pen, tried skinning the old calf and tying to the one grafting on and a few other things i cant think of off hand. said she would let him suck once in awhile from back but yesterday just kept trying to get away from him. i asked him why he didnt just hobble her and he said he didnt have cow hobbles. so i drove out there put a set of hobbles that i have for horses on her. I guess my question is what are hobbles made specifically for cows and how are they different? i would imagine if they perform the same task they shouldnst look that much different. thanks ahead of time

Lon go to the thread where ILH posted a picture of the hobbles she used. They sure look like horse hobbles to me. There are several styles you can use.

Here's what we usually use. They work except for the most determined cows. I have used the figure 8 style before, but only when these kind failed to work. The figure 8 style make it pretty hard for the cow to move around, these ones mostly just keep her from being able to kick the calf. They slow the cow down a bit, until they figure out how to use them....
DSC06998.jpg

i have both a figure 8 set and a set simular to these without that big link. looks like they busted and ya had to patch them huh. well i was wondering cause he said he needed a set specifcally for cows. :???: i just put a pair of mine on her and now he believes they would work even though made for horses cause he called and asked if i did it and they were still on today when i went out there.
ps the calf is sucking today.

My Paw Paw milked a cow back in the '50s and he used a set of hobbles that he called kickers. Not a bad cow, PawPaw was old and not too mobile and he didn't want her to put a foot in the bucket. Also, he sometimes tied her tail to keep from being swatted with a cocher bur tail.
PawPaw lived close to the earth and was the smartest man alone those lines that I have ever known

lynnmcmahan":1xhgzmwh said:
My Paw Paw milked a cow back in the '50s and he used a set of hobbles that he called kickers. Not a bad cow, PawPaw was old and not too mobile and he didn't want her to put a foot in the bucket. Also, he sometimes tied her tail to keep from being swatted with a cocher bur tail.
PawPaw lived close to the earth and was the smartest man alone those lines that I have ever known

Sounds like a pretty smart fella to me. All of the knowledge those old timers had was hard earned. :tiphat:

Those are hobbles meant to be used in the parlor to keep a cow from kicking or moving around during milking.

All this begs the question....how do you get those hobbles on a cow without getting your arm broken? I agree they're a good idea, but first you have to get them on an often cranky beast. We sometimes, only if necessary, use an RAU immobiliser to get a calf on to suck (in the chute). The cow knows the calf is there but can't do anything about it, but its only for that length of time of course. Sometimes with a really mad one, you can see them gently rocking, just wanting to go ballistic. I do like the hobbles idea and could use the RAU to put them on and fitted right.

Put her in the squeeze, pinch her up as far as you can with a post and be careful. Tie a leg back and wait til she quits kicking works too. Whatever you do, don't put your arm through a panel or anything where it could be caught if she kicked.

jilleroo":o8dihkvf said:
All this begs the question....how do you get those hobbles on a cow without getting your arm broken? I agree they're a good idea, but first you have to get them on an often cranky beast. We sometimes, only if necessary, use an RAU immobiliser to get a calf on to suck (in the chute). The cow knows the calf is there but can't do anything about it, but its only for that length of time of course. Sometimes with a really mad one, you can see them gently rocking, just wanting to go ballistic. I do like the hobbles idea and could use the RAU to put them on and fitted right.

well out there he has a auto catch head gate and one gate panel to swing. i just stuck her in head gate swung the closing gate. put a cahin on it so she couldnt move it put the one side on walked to other side of her and grabed the hobble jerked her leg over so was close enough to put the second one on. pretty easy. at home before had a head catch my dad would rope her head i could catch her back legs stretch her out put them on then let her go. truthfully easier than ya think. on his swing gate i just reached under and put them on. just be cautiouse and ready to move your hand quick. like anything else with cattle you can get a broken anything if not careful.

jilleroo":3qgtww67 said:

Whats a RAU immobiliser?

Well no way we would be putting hobbles on one of our charolais cows in the crush without an immobiliser. Have seen too many people badly hurt putting their arms in places like that....and its usually folk who should know better and just take a chance. Also, our cattle are "range" type cattle, only handled a couple of times a year.
The RAU is a battery powered device, simply operated, using a probe placed in the rear of the animal. I'm sure you've heard of them before. They certainly do seem painless as the cattle have no fear of the process if it has to be repeated.

jilleroo":8lhckaih said:
Well no way we would be putting hobbles on one of our charolais cows in the crush without an immobiliser. Have seen too many people badly hurt putting their arms in places like that....and its usually folk who should know better and just take a chance. Also, our cattle are "range" type cattle, only handled a couple of times a year.
The RAU is a battery powered device, simply operated, using a probe placed in the rear of the animal. I'm sure you've heard of them before. They certainly do seem painless as the cattle have no fear of the process if it has to be repeated.

Ok yeah i have heard of that. this isnt a chute. just a head catch then has a panel on once side mounted solid and a swinging gate on the other. i am not sure what a madena gate is but the way people describe them it would be something simaliar with what i have pictured in my mind. than i just reach under. these are range cattle to. some can get pretty salty once in awhile. i dont know of many cattle around here that arent range cattle. this was a heifer to boot.

randiliana":1eq20gwc said:
Ours aren't exactly range cattle, but they aren't pets either. Just be careful or tie the legs back.
Or pass a flank strap around her just in front of the udder and cinch it up tight.

dun":t8c769l3 said:
randiliana":t8c769l3 said:
Ours aren't exactly range cattle, but they aren't pets either. Just be careful or tie the legs back.
Or pass a flank strap around her just in front of the udder and cinch it up tight.

tie legs back im trying to tie them together with the hobble. j/k :lol2:
flank strap like on a bronc? will stop them from kicking?

Latest posts