Cow "Hiding" Calf But I Know Where It Is...Do I Worry?

Help Support CattleToday:

seaportmom

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I've searched this topic on these boards, but my situation is slightly different: I KNOW where the calf is.

We have a 4.5 acre small farm. This is our first calf on the farm and I have a deployed husband, so I'm doing all this on my own right now.

One of our cows delivered her 4th calf (first on our farm...we got her and a heifer calf from a local 4H family) 4 days ago. For the first 3 days she kept baby really close to her. She brought him down to the barn last night and this morning when she came to eat.

This afternoon she "hid" him behind a down tree while she's been grazing. She's definitely aware of where he is and isn't wanting us to get near him, but is putting more distance (200+ yds) between herself and him than she has the last several days. I was able to get close enough to him this afternoon to see that he's still alive. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Thanks so much in advance.

Yes it's normal and don;t be concerned. The cow knows what she's doing. Just don;t mess with her or the calf.

:welcome: thank you for the sacrifice you, your husband and family make for our country. People often forget the family at home is making just as big a sacrifice. Any time you need anything just let us know.

Latest posts