Cow condition-biosecurity

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Would you buy a weaned steer, dam is in good condition, but another 5 year old cow in same herd is skeleton skinny? I have AI'd cows that would be potentially exposed to the steer eventually. Bio security concern? 1st pic is calf I'm considering, 2nd is other cow, same herd. Owner said she's been vet-checked. I guess gut feeling is probably best indicator...also note total lack of pasture in photos...

Attachments

• 5E1B415F-89B2-4F51-8B1F-F513272343A9.png
    5E1B415F-89B2-4F51-8B1F-F513272343A9.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • F41F61BF-F27B-4160-827E-775F5849A232.png
    F41F61BF-F27B-4160-827E-775F5849A232.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
I believe I would pass on that steer, A good steer could be bought at a stockyards. Is it from a cattle trader? Could be lack of food, worms, hardware, or worse yet Johnes.
Not a trader, necessarily, but someone who bought bred cows from somewhere. Thanks. That's what my gut was saying too.

So, that being said, buying a steer at stockyards would potentially have the same risk, right? You just wouldn't see the thins. We've been buying private treaty, just having difficulty finding one or two steers at the moment. Most want to sell all more than a couple.

I believe I would pass on that steer, A good steer could be bought at a stockyards. Is it from a cattle trader? Could be lack of food, worms, hardware, or worse yet Johnes.
I don't introduce any to my herd except in a N tank but at least buying out of the paddock you do get to see what conditions they are reared in and other in contact animals and can make a judgement, you don't have that same insight at the stockyards/sale barn.
That 2nd cow has a good calf on her and seems to have a big udder and as you say doesn't seem to be much for them to eat. You don't get to see that at the sale barn.

Ken

I don't introduce any to my herd except in a N tank but at least buying out of the paddock you do get to see what conditions they are reared in and other in contact animals and can make a judgement, you don't have that same insight at the stockyards/sale barn.
That 2nd cow has a good calf on her and seems to have a big udder and as you say doesn't seem to be much for them to eat. You don't get to see that at the sale barn.

Ken
I agree that you don't know the conditions that an animal at the stockyards came out of in most cases. We have bought many feeder or stocker calves as most on this forum call them, through the stockyards and have been very fortunate with that. I am very particular when I buy and keep them separated for a while before turning them out. Buying cows for us has been a different story, I've bought some through the ring both at regular stock sales and registered sales and out privately have been burned by each in several situations. Obviously the best way should be to buy off of a farm from a reputable source. To me though I have found good success in buying groups and sometimes single of healthy looking calves at the stockyards.

So, that being said, buying a steer at stockyards would potentially have the same risk, right? You just wouldn't see the thins. We've been buying private treaty, just having difficulty finding one or two steers at the moment. Most want to sell all more than a couple.
Yes there is definitely that potential risk. The issues that I see with private treaty is usually the asking price is significantly higher than through the ring and the quality of the calves doesn't often match the price. You have to be selective at the stockyards

Yes there is definitely that potential risk. The issues that I see with private treaty is usually the asking price is significantly higher than through the ring and the quality of the calves doesn't often match the price. You have to be selective at the stockyards
To clarify my earlier statements, I see traders that buy cheap end cows at the stockyards and then turn around and post them on Craigslist for considerably more. Those kind of cattle have likely been run on some pretty rough conditions and are probably lacking in mineral and vitamin nutrition too. That can cause a lot of health related issues down the road as well.

To clarify my earlier statements, I see traders that buy cheap end cows at the stockyards and then turn around and post them on Craigslist for considerably more. Those kind of cattle have likely been run on some pretty rough conditions and are probably lacking in mineral and vitamin nutrition too. That can cause a lot of health related issues down the road as well.
I know of one trader who apparently buys every thin cow he can and flips them-still looking pretty bad. Feel bad for the poor cows and what they go through

I agree that you don't know the conditions that an animal at the stockyards came out of in most cases. We have bought many feeder or stocker calves as most on this forum call them, through the stockyards and have been very fortunate with that. I am very particular when I buy and keep them separated for a while before turning them out. Buying cows for us has been a different story, I've bought some through the ring both at regular stock sales and registered sales and out privately have been burned by each in several situations. Obviously the best way should be to buy off of a farm from a reputable source. To me though I have found good success in buying groups and sometimes single of healthy looking calves at the stockyards.
We have "Health Declarations" that can accompany the waybill when cattle go to the saleyards. It asks questions such as have the cattle comingled with dairy cattle so the risks of Johnes can be assessed by potential buyers, vaccinations, tested for Johnes, BVD etc.

Ken

hmmm, i bought a couple of cows that were about to calve that were in poor (not that poor) condition but had not had their 1st calves pulled until a few weeks before the 2nd was born. i brought them home and wormed them and started feeding and even with the 2nd calves their coats have gotten slick and they are putting a little flesh back on. at the time i just thought they were poorly managed and didn't even consider johnes. i may send a fecal off on one of them just to be safe now. they have been in quarantine on their own 5 acres and will stay that way a little longer now.

hmmm, i bought a couple of cows that were about to calve that were in poor (not that poor) condition but had not had their 1st calves pulled until a few weeks before the 2nd was born. i brought them home and wormed them and started feeding and even with the 2nd calves their coats have gotten slick and they are putting a little flesh back on. at the time i just thought they were poorly managed and didn't even consider johnes. i may send a fecal off on one of them just to be safe now. they have been in quarantine on their own 5 acres and will stay that way a little longer now.
That's my big fear is John's, or even BVD. This seller has two 5 year olds that she says look like this after calving "but the vet isn't worried". That's two too many.

That's my big fear is John's, or even BVD. This seller has two 5 year olds that she says look like this after calving "but the vet isn't worried". That's two too many.
From what our vet told us years ago regarding Johnes, is that it can be around five years before the physical symptoms are visible, and often start showing after a time of stress which oftentimes they start showing it after calving.
That would make 3 things that would worry me. Age of animal, poor condition after calving, the vet not being worried about it, just sounds fishy to me which I would translate to the vets not worried because he or she likely has never seen those particular cattle.

Latest posts