Cow/ calf vs Buying and feeding out

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am running cattle for some people at their weekend place and I am trying to decide on running a cow/ calf deal or buying bull calves at around 250lbs and selling at 450lbs.

The place is around 180 ac. It has brush and native grass. I am running 23 cows right now and that is about all it can handle. 23 calves at $400 each does does not add up to much. I am trying to find a more profitable deal for the small amount of acrerage.

Buying the calves small and selling them bigger is new to me so its hard to try and get calculations on what kind of money we could make that away. If some of you can give me yalls experiences with it I would appreciat it. Thanks

Brute 23":236s74k6 said:
I am running cattle for some people at their weekend place and I am trying to decide on running a cow/ calf deal or buying bull calves at around 250lbs and selling at 450lbs.

The place is around 180 ac. It has brush and native grass. I am running 23 cows right now and that is about all it can handle. 23 calves at $400 each does does not add up to much. I am trying to find a more profitable deal for the small amount of acrerage.

Buying the calves small and selling them bigger is new to me so its hard to try and get calculations on what kind of money we could make that away. If some of you can give me yalls experiences with it I would appreciat it. Thanks

What first comes to my mind is you'll need better quality grass/forage for those light weightsthen you will for a ow calf operation.

dun

Dun is right on. Stocker grass is a far sight different than cow/calf grass. Buying calves at 250 could give you a lot of gray hair really quick. Beleive I'd look at getting something a little bigger and try to avoid calves that haven't been weaned.

About $15k worth of trip 13 & lime would probably get that pasture just right for those stockers :shock: :shock:

Ya just can't turn 250# calves into a weekend place and expect to keep your investments. I wouldn't get any less than 450# and even then they need to be watched close for a week or two. I will buy at 300 to 350# at times, and you will need a good holding facility and be able to stay close to them several times a day for the first week. You can lose a little one fast if it needs you in the beginning.
Not wintering your cows for calving will cut your expenses.
Just put some numbers together. What are you going to pay for the calves, how many days do you want to feed/graze, add minimum 1.5 ADG (more if conditions are good), how much will they sell at that weight, and deduct vet, feed and sale costs.
Good luck.

With what you said about your pasture, I would agree with Dun.. and run with the cow/calf operation. Buying at the 250# weight, can be a bit risky if you arent set up to take them, and start them off right.

Latest posts