cow/calf things to always have on hand

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
What meds. and neccessary products do you always try keep on hand? I'm going to make a list of things we don't have and sometimes y'all can think of things quicker than I can.

Suture kit, needles and syringes to fit your needs, calf pullers, bottle of iodine, sharp knife like a razor knife or scapel, stomach magnets, dex, nuflor or equivalent, la300, milk needle, shoulder length gloves, bander and bands.
That's my kit. Each kit I imagine to be different depending on what your herd goals are.

To add to what hooknline posted; KY-jelly/lubricant, an old Coke bottle, 4 to 5 feet of garden hose, a piece of PVC pipe about 2 to 3 inch diameter about 18 to 24 inches long, come-a-long, adjustable rope cow halter, 10 to 20 foot length of good stout nylon rope (stays more flexible than cotton), thermometer, stethescope, watch w/a second hand (or a stop watch), mineral oil, ear tagging supplies, couple of pkts of Re-Sorb or other electrolyte mix, couple of packets of powdered colostrum (if you don't have any in the freezer), towels, a balling gun, tag cutter tool, and a trochar. Just a few I can think of off-hand.

Katherine

Good points Katherine. Forgot about tagging supplies, rope etc. and I have gallons of mineral oil on hand either for the front end or the back. Multi purpose and cheaper than ky

every1 has told you everything you need.if we needed lube on the gloves we always used liquid soap on the gloves an wet the sleeve down.but we was always in the milk barn close to a water hose.ive never used used gloves pulling calves.buts thats just me.

Workinonit Farm":a0bl1wkh said:
To add to what hooknline posted; KY-jelly/lubricant, an old Coke bottle, 4 to 5 feet of garden hose, a piece of PVC pipe about 2 to 3 inch diameter about 18 to 24 inches long, come-a-long, adjustable rope cow halter, 10 to 20 foot length of good stout nylon rope (stays more flexible than cotton), thermometer, stethescope, watch w/a second hand (or a stop watch), mineral oil, ear tagging supplies, couple of pkts of Re-Sorb or other electrolyte mix, couple of packets of powdered colostrum (if you don't have any in the freezer), towels, a balling gun, tag cutter tool, and a trochar. Just a few I can think of off-hand.

Katherine

if you have working facilities close by a stomach tube or even the your garden hose would be the prefered way to go over the trocar and canula.

Vinegar, Bicarbonate of soda, Epsom Salts, salt, sugar, brewers yeast and activated charcoal should also be added to the list

Funny how areas are different, I just keep my vet's phone number on hand. He's a friend of mine, in his seventies and it's been 30 years since I paid any more for vet work than his costs of the medicine. Someday he'll die, cuz' he will never fully retire, and I'll have to change my ways. gs

I saw someone listing calf puller, but I like having calving chains to go with them... I like having 2 sets since it's sometimes easier to use a different chain rather than the other end of the one you've already got attached to one leg. I find long gloves useless when delivering a calf.. you don't have the dexterity you need, however, I do like them for doing uterine lavages on infected cows... that smell doesn't come off easy and people tend to avoid you if you don't get it off. I keep Oxytocin, LA300, dexamethazone, Vitamins A, D and E.

Don't forget the Bovine Attitude Adjustment Tool... a nice piece of 3/4" x 2ft peice of steel pipe or similar for the ones who don't like you...

Can't think of anything else... Lots of nipples, needles of various lengths and guages, syringes... I use a syringe of about 150% my dose.... I find if you pull the plunger out too far it tends to bind... I have a few really nice 50CC all glass syringes which are the cat's meow for LA300... they are SO EASY to use... good investment for when things go south on you.

What about epinephrine, shouldn't that be on the list to have on hand, especially if there's a chance that an animal may go down with reaction to a drug?

I guess that's true, I actually just suggested keeping some in our own medicine cabinet... no one in my family has any allergies, especially serious ones, but it would be good if a visitor gets a bee sting and is allergic... we're 20 minutes outside of town driving like a maniac...

I read this thread with growing fascination, I would not know how or why to use one third of all this stuff. My cows usually just calve, then in the morning i find their calf and tag it.

Four years ago I had to assist a calving and then i used a thick rope to tie the cow to a tree and pulled the calf by hand. I suppose that rope is my calving kit?

buckeye":5efpnmyp said:
A couple people listed vinegar and Knersie also listed Epsom Salt, what are they used for?

Vinegar is to treat urea poisoning and is an excellent form of energy for ruminants. Epsom salts is a laxative and also used to drain the jaundice in the event of tick born gallsickness (a form of anaplasmosis)

Latest posts