Cow acting wierd

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you Goodlife..I sent you a pm.

Oh and Hillsdown, no temp and no banamine. I got a bottle of it--it is expired since 2009--but its been stored in the house, maybe I could get the Vet to give me a syringe of it--I could take her tempature, don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess because she looks so good.

I would mix some baking soda with molasses and warm water about a pint and use a syringe to drench her with as grain overload can cause acidosis , put a cup of molasses in warm water for her to drink as it will give her energy,brown sugar works also in a pinch, I had cows get out and into the grain and my vet had me give them 10cc banimine and a quart of mineral oil to ward off acidosis,
I used baking soda with the oil,works for bloat also,sounds like her rumen may be shutting down if she is not eating very well, hope she gets better, are there any dairys around that might have a hip lift you could borrow ,just trying to throw out ideas
Suzanne

Thanks Suz, I had some molasses so I have mixed some up with a little baking soda in it. I also have the electrolytes and anacid the vet left me yesterday mixed in a bucket..I am using a calf tuber that hooks to a bottle and can also be used to drench. I really think its a pinched nerve and not acidosis, but I am now worried that she hasn't eaten for at least a day.

My neighbor and his brother rolled the cow on to her other side this morning. I called the vet to see if they have a hip lift (and they do!--however I guess they don't use it because they might sell it to me used). I am waiting for them to call me back with a price, I even suggested that I would rent it.

If I get the hip lift and I lift her..will she then stand on her own? Is this something I'm going to have to keep doing? I am just asking because I have not idea what to expect. She is still very alert, perky and trying to get up. Thanks

Hip lifts don;t work very well on beef cows. The hooks aren;t prominent enough to be able to tighten them up enough. Rolling her from side to side at least once a day, beter yet twice or three times will help a lot. If you can;t get straps under her the rolling would be my preference over attempting to use a the hop lifters

hillsdown":1kagky4r said:
Not too impressed with your vet Donna, I do IV's on down cows all the time. That is when they need them the most be it calcium or dextrose so a little confused as to why she cannot find the neck vein or the milk vein when there are 2 options ; also blood work can be drawn form the tail with a vacuumed tube.

My thoughts exactly!! I would be getting a different vet. Aside from the no IV and blood draw she didn't even take a temp???

As Suzorse said I'd give the molasses water and oil with baking soda. Sounds like she over did the grain. As dun stated rolling her from side to side is probably the best option if you can't lift her. If you do get her lifted then be aware she may not be able to support herself for a while, even if nothing is "pinched" lack of circulation would make her weak in the limbs. Holding her in the upright position with her feet on the ground but not fully suporting her own weight may be necessary.

Glad you were able to get some help and hope she recovers soon.

i can not beleive you call that person a vet. i've seen many cows i v'ed lying down. she should have at least pumped some water & propolene glycol down her & maybe a little salt in the water. you could give her a beer bottle of propolene glycol twice a day to keep her energy up, couple of beers might help her stomach get to working better. not sure what is wrong with her. sounds like something besides the grain as she had been getting some grain, and doesn't sound just like a pinched nerve or she would still be eating. good luck!!!

First off I should clarify, the vet did not really push the bloodwork and when she couldn't do the IV, I didn't go there. I talked to my husband and we do not think there is anything wrong with the cow except a pinched nerve or something going on with the calf. We are not going to have blood drawn and am going to see what happens in the next few day.

I went to the vets office and rented the hip lifters and talked to the vet. She said that her findings from the exam were that the cow was not bloating and does not have acidosis. She thought the cow got her self in a position trying to have the calf and cannot get up. She said it could be a pinched nerve or perhaps the cow got injured by the bull or another cow. Without bloodwork she could not tell if there was a calcium deficiency or not.

My neighbors rolled the cow, she rolled back to her previous position within a couple of hours. She is scootting around 5-6 feet at a time. I took her hay and she ate 3 or 4 mouthfuls full, I would like to see her eat more. There is a calf watering bowl that she can drink from laying down and she is drinking. She is not stressed and it looks like she was getting her whole body off the ground today, but did not have that little extra to get into the standing position. She is under a shade tree..and a couple hours of the day I expect she will have some sun on her but otherwise it is a protected area. Her eyes are bright and ears are perked up. I am going to bring her hay,grain and water for a few days --neighbor will roll her, then I will decide what to do. Thank you all for you input and advise. I will keep you up to date.

Several months ago our Pastor told us ..if the Lord brings you to it--everything you need is there. Tonight I have re-newed faith ! Thank you all for your help with my problem!

The cow was up and walking around when I went this pm. She looked thin on the calf side--I looked in the area she was but did not find any aborted calves..but will look again. I am thankful I can rest tonight. My husband out of town and a broken arm made this a real challenge for me. I attached a picture of her. I love the chocolate white faces..he father was my icon Rudovich..and her name is Rudy. She will be one of the first to go next year if she still has a calf.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 7221_n.jpg