Cow acting wierd

Help Support CattleToday:

donnaIL

Reaction score
Today a 5 yr old cow in good condition bred with her 3rd calf, due approx 6 weeks (I write down when cows are in heat, lying down acting wierd. 2 days ago the cows pushed down a section of fence that needs work and most of them were out, except her and 2 other cows. I put grain in the feed bin to try to convince the loose bunch to return to the pasture, she and the other 2 cows ofcourse pigged out while I was rounding the others up. The other 2 cows are fine--I don't know if this could be part of the problem with her or not.

I noticed yesterday when I went out in the a.m. she was out near the back fence, seperated from the rest of the herd. She was walking around and I did not notice anything odd about her appearance. When I came back in the p.m., she had moved to a wooded area and did not come up for feed. My first thought was that cow is acting like she is going to have a calf--so I came home and checked my book. The only way she could be having a calf in the next week would be if she was bred the day she calved in Dec.

Today when I went this a.m. to water, she was laying along another fence line. She let me walk right up to her..and seemed to be rolling abit, like she was trying to get her cud up. Her ears were perky, she had a mucousy discharge from her rear and she was making a low quite mooing noise every so often, hitting her stomach lightly like she had discomfort from the calf. She did not appear to be bloated, I am assuming if she was bloated it would be noticable--besides that 2 days would be along time.

I'm pretty sure she is not eating. I am debating on calling the vet or wait another day, since really she looks okay -- she is just acting wierd like she is trying to have her calf. We had a severe drought this year, in the last couple of weeks we have had a few good rains and the grass and weeds are growing everywhere..I supposed she could have eaten something but since they have grass and hay I can't imagine why they would be eating weeds or ? Any advise ?? Whats the odds of having a premature calf are there complications in that?

Thanks, Donna

If it was me I would glove up and check on the calfs progress. It could just be that the calf is on an odd position and causing her discomfort. 6 weeks early is a bit too early to expect the calf to live. Try to get her to eat something, anything (like grain) and see if she is drinking any water. Obviously I'm just spitballing ideas.

Could a cow walk around bloated for 2 days? Would she look huge if she was bloated?

I'm not sure she is drinking either..thanks dun, I will try something. I'm on my own this week, husband is out of town..maybe I should call the vet.

donnaIL":1j1ltd08 said:
Could a cow walk around bloated for 2 days? Would she look huge if she was bloated?

I'm not sure she is drinking either..thanks dun, I will try something. I'm on my own this week, husband is out of town..maybe I should call the vet.

If you are unsure ,you should give your vet a call. If she is due in 6 weeks then it sure would be a waste to lose her to something that was treatable/preventable . Also it will give you peace of mind to know that she is alright and your are not second guessing yourself .

Good luck.

hillsdown":1o95p33i said:
donnaIL":1o95p33i said:

If you are unsure ,you should give your vet a call. If she is due in 6 weeks then it sure would be a waste to lose her to something that was treatable/preventable . Also it will give you peace of mind to know that she is alright and your are not second guessing yourself .

Good luck.
Best advice on this thread!

Yes I just called the vets office, I told them what I wrote and the receptionist came back and told me "the vet said it sounds like you cow is having a calf".

A big slug of grain will mess up the rumen and the cow will go off feed.
A big slug of grain can also cause the manure to change.
Still should have the vet out.
Try to get her on some forage till then.

Okay, I called the vet, the vet came out. She did an exam, gloved up and said she thought the cow was pregnant but the calf was in deep or she couldn't feel because the cow was laying down. The cow did take a big poo during the exam and it did not look like the manure was changed that much from what I am use to seeing. She heard some gas, but nothing to indicate bloat--she would not tube the cow because she was laying down. She mixed up a bucket of bluekote and anacid but the cow would not drink it. She offered IV fluids, I said yes...but she could not get the IV in -- again due to the cow laying down. They wanted to do bloodwork---but if she couldn't get the vein for the iv???? She did think the cow was a big healthy looking animal and thought she is just down in a position and maybe due to being dehydrated, tired or weak she cannot get the back leg she is laying on up under her to get up. She continued to say that even thought she couldn't feel anything, could be the cow will be calfing in the next week or so--that cows are calving 3-4 weeks early due to the drought. She suggested i take her food and water and call them and let them know what happens. To try to get her up if I can..or get someone out to get her up--I asked if she knew someone who could help me do that she said no. So I wrote them a check.

Then I drug one of those 12" tall calf bowls out to her, filled it with water, took her hay--she ate and drank a little. I called the local sale barn to see if the know some one who will "help me" get her up. I was glad to see her chewing the grass.

Any suggestions? Seems like I am just waiting until tomorrow like I originally was going to.

Should I take her some grain? our cows are use to getting a alittle grain each day..3 or 4 lbs..I don't what a big slug of grain is ..I guess it is possible that she wolfed down 10 lbs. We feed 3 - 5 gallon buckets to 17 cows, I don't think that is that much and I know alot of people don't feed grain at all.

Thanks

Gotta watch the protein intake the last trimester. Too much makes the calf big. I'm starting to think the calf is pressing on a nerve making it harder on the cow.
Calves are running early this year I had 2 that were 2 weeks early, and others around me have said roughly the same.
Main thing right now is to make sure that cow gets up. Even if you have to fashion a strap, go under her belly and under her chest, hook that to a tractor loader and lift, get her up ASAP.

how am i going to get something under her belly? I was thinking maybe somthing under her front legs I could manage. That is what I am trying to find someone to help me with. I thought maybe if we just even dragged her a few feet she might be able to get up. I have a skid loader that will lift, I just don't know how to get something around her. Would you use like one of those tie down straps?

The big straps would work. If you can dig a small hole under her tonworkmthe strap through. If she's not getting up anyway it won't be a risk to you or hard to dig a small hole. Gotta get those back legs up first. They very well may be asleep by now so once you get her up leave her in that position with her feet fully touching the ground. That way she can support her own weight when shes ready.

I'll second what hooknline said.

I had a deal like that one time, came home and found cow splayed out, husband wasn't home so I called a neighbor to come up and help me----mainly with the straps. If you can get someone to lend you an extra set of hands to maneuver that would be good.

My neighbor and I, together, we were able to roll the cow enough to get the straps under her. I laid them (2 of them) out one for the front and one for the hind. We bunched them up as close to under her as we could get, then we had a couple of ropes rigged (tied to her legs by the hooves as best we could) to where we both pulled to get her somewhat rolled, he held the ropes while I finished fishing the straps under to the other side. We let her roll back and we wrapped the straps around the bucket of the tractor and I slowly lifted her up.

Most of it I was able to do myself, but for a couple of parts I knew I would need an extra set of hands. Hopefully you have someone available who is willing to help you.

It could just be that the calf is "setting" on a nerve. But the cow needs to be up if at all possible.

Good luck and keep us posted. If I were in Illinois I'd come on over and lend a hand.

Katherine

Not too impressed with your vet Donna, I do IV's on down cows all the time. That is when they need them the most be it calcium or dextrose so a little confused as to why she cannot find the neck vein or the milk vein when there are 2 options ; also blood work can be drawn form the tail with a vacuumed tube.

Well I am going to say something a little different as Donna said the cow is down not "splayed" .

Does your cow "scoot" around at all ? If she does then leave her for now ,you do not want to risk losing the calf for no good reason. Give her food water and yes if she will eat some grain give it to her as well at this point BW is a mute point . Also see if you can get some electrolytes down her ,an empty wine bottle works great just make sure you don not get it between her back teeth so she cannot chomp down on it .

Was a temp taken and did the "vet" administer any meds like banamine ?

I am thinking that the calf is backwards or you have twins in there.

hillsdown":1c46zyt1 said:
,an empty wine bottle works great just make sure you don not get it between her back teeth so she cannot chomp down on it .

This is where a short length of 2" or so PVC pipe comes in handy. A length of about 12 to 18 inches, crossways in her mouth so she can't chomp on the bottle.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1ey19zdx said:
hillsdown":1ey19zdx said:
,an empty wine bottle works great just make sure you don not get it between her back teeth so she cannot chomp down on it .

This is where a short length of 2" or so PVC pipe comes in handy. A length of about 12 to 18 inches, crossways in her mouth so she can't chomp on the bottle.

Katherine

Definitely Katherine, thanks for the reminder as I have not had to use on win years (touch wood) , and you can just duck tape them together !

I am located close to Waterloo. Illinois is a big state but if you are around here let me know if you need an extra set of hands. I am not as experienced as Kathie, Dun, Hook, HD and workinonit, but I am strong and not afraid to pitch in to help. If you are around here you can PM me and I will come over to help roll her if you want to strap her up.