Cover crop....variety differences

Help Support CattleToday:

BlondeD

Reaction score
.......Was browsing through my last issue of Delta Farm Press..(August 7, 2020)...and the first article addresses a recently completed research project by UT. While more focused on these cover crops following harvest of row crops, the info should have some value for those here looking to graze whatever fall planted cover varieties we might be planning to use in the next couple of months.....particularly if you are looking for more biomass.
http://search.utcrops.com/cover-crops

Interesting read. I always just plant bin run wheat (my cheapest option). Always wanted to try some type of winter pea. Never seen it done here though. Works in Tn. Should work Ky.

Cereal rye is hard to beat here. I will fly it into soybeans once the leaves start to get some color to them.
Flying some into corn this fall also, typically I would still into corn stalks but everything was late this year

T & B farms said:
Cereal rye is hard to beat here. I will fly it into soybeans once the leaves start to get some color to them.
Flying some into corn this fall also, typically I would still into corn stalks but everything was late this year
I've considered similar with beans but have always chickened out due to the fear of having problems come cutting time. Have you run into any problems with that program?

Latest posts