Court rules against Katrina in homeowners case.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I can't get the link but the court has ruled that insurance policies did not cover flood damage caused by levee breaches that flooded 80% of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.

What a bunch of crooks.It's bad enough that the government wasn't there to get people out in time and many lives were lost and all possessions but now they get screwed by their insurance companies.Sad.

No, they didn't get screwed by their insurance companies....report the entire opinion written by the judges.

And anyone who builds a city below sea level should have their heads examined anyway.

Let's keep this fair and balanced, not left wing biased.

Besides all that, you live in Canada. What concern is it to you how our system operates??

I'm through now..

IF - I were to build a house in a low lying area in a flood plain I would have flood insurance since regular home owner's insurance does not cover floods.

What happened to the folks in NO was un-fortunate but, when you live below the surronding water level and don't have flood insurance, you get what you deserve sooner or later.

That's like having your house burn down and picking a homeowner's insurance company and telling them you want to collect even though you didn't have a policy with them because all of your neighbors' houses burned down too. If you want your insurance to cover floods, get flood insurance.

Do you think that water would have breeched the levees anyway, even if they had been in better condition? The way I understood it, the policital bosses in the parishes didn't use the monies appropriately that were supposed to go toward upkeep of the levees. It seems to me that if the levee system would have been breeched anyway, then the home owners without flood insurance would be SOL. If, however, the levees failed because they were not maintained, then the Corps Of Engineers, or the local governments should be held accountable.

I would not buy a home in a flood prone area without flood insurance. I just dont think anyone thought the levees would fail.

On the other hand, I have been places that got damage from Rita, and the first thing folks did with their insuance money is to go get a new car. Lots of new cars parked in front of homes that still had plastic sheeting for roofs 18 months later.

I am sure that does not represent the majority of the folks who received damage, however.

Lammie wrote: On the other hand, I have been places that got damage from Rita, and the first thing folks did with their insuance money is to go get a new car. Lots of new cars parked in front of homes that still had plastic sheeting for roofs 18 months later.

This practice has been virtually eliminated here in Alabama. The insurance company now writes the check to the Mortgage Company and the Homeowner jointly.

The Mortgage Company will see that the home is repaired properly with this money, because it is in his best interest.

If there is no mortgage company, the homeowner can do as he pleases with the money as it is his business only.

In 1992, I think, there was a big hail storm around Arlington where I was living at the time. Everyone got hail damage and there were several people I knew who either deposited the insurance money or spent it. When I have had hail damage I have always kept the receipts and used contractors recommended by my insurance and the money goes directly to them. I would rather do it that way. They do the repairs and the money never has to cross my palm.

A lot of those folks in NO went away anyway, didn't they? I know of several around here who found jobs and got homes and they don't intend to go back. Those folks prolly had flood insurance, though. It's expensive! There's no way that some of those people living there could have afforded it.

It does make me mad, though, when someone builds their dream home on a mountain side and when a mud slide or forest fire comes around they want to rebuild right there again.

HEY! I have a question! How on earth do people who have those beach houses on stilts ever get insurance? It seems that one good storm surge would easily take them all out.

Some of these people had homeowners insurance and the insurance companies refused to pay for things damaged other than water damage. Isn't it most insurance companies won't even provide flood insurance in parts of these countries anymore, just because it is their policy?

GMN

I went to Mississippi to help. Yeah, Mississippi got hit too. Matter of fact, Mississippi took the brunt of the storm. I must say the government was there as were many many good people who volunteered to help. The thing is, the area affected was huge! I did not see the pilaging or the raping, I only saw people trying to help. In the presidential debates, the Katrina thing came up a couple of times. Several said it was a disaster on the government's part. The government told them to get out. They didn't. So now its the govenment's fault because they didn't make them get out. This is still a free country and you are still free to be stupid. Gee willakers. :roll:

I lost just about everything I owned to Rita. I had home owners insurance and flood insurance. Both paid off. I rebuilt, didn't get any assistance from the government and didn't ask for any. The money has been pouring into New Orleans for years for the levies. If folks want to sue anyone, they should sue the city of New Orleans. JMO

Never suprises me to see how some people think. i was there after katrina. Help was there. The main reason there was not a mass federal presence was 1. Like Jo said, we're talking hundreds of miles. 2. Our stupid idiot gov. refused help because she said we could handle it. Noticed how after the Coast Guard stepped in, stuff started happening? Guess what, they're Federal.

p.s. anybody who has ever bought a new camper or mobile home knows they ship em treated with formaldehyde to preserve em. Just a bunch of lazy no good scum who has now realized that Uncle Sam is tired of paying for them to live and now they have to do something. SUE. Too dam hard to get a job! By the way I live here around some of these scum, so don't question my qualifications to speak!

GMN":smq77sjh said:
Isn't it most insurance companies won't even provide flood insurance in parts of these countries anymore, just because it is their policy?

GMN

The government offers the flood insurance, because no carrier will do it.

jkwilson":1w9iqoun said:
That's like having your house burn down and picking a homeowner's insurance company and telling them you want to collect even though you didn't have a policy with them because all of your neighbors' houses burned down too. If you want your insurance to cover floods, get flood insurance.
It's not their fault.According to some of the victims, it's all George Bush's fault the hurrcane flooded them out. The best one I heard was that the goverment blew up the levees on purpose because they are racist white folks.
What makes me mad is that Rita did alot of damage and barely got mentioned, just like Missisippi didn't get the press they diserved after katrina. I'm a saints fan, but I don't think they played a game since the storm that it's not mentioned.

They offer flood insurance. There are 2 rates. One for those in the flood plain and 1 for those not in it. If you're not (like me) it is dirt cheap. I still buy it just in case since the flood waters stopped just 3 miles from my house! For those in the flood plain, it is much much more expensive.

Jfont, you don't hear as much from the Rita people or the Miss. people from Katrina, because they are not like the people of N.O. They are good old fashioned country people who go thru this every few years and get on with their lives. Remember the sqeakiest wheel always gets the grease!

Horticattleman":6erx4kw3 said:
Jfont, you don't hear as much from the Rita people or the Miss. people from Katrina, because they are not like the people of N.O. They are good old fashioned country people who go thru this every few years and get on with their lives. Remember the sqeakiest wheel always gets the grease!

Exactly!

Paul54":2uge6ydk said:
I lost just about everything I owned to Rita. I had home owners insurance and flood insurance. Both paid off. I rebuilt, didn't get any assistance from the government and didn't ask for any. The money has been pouring into New Orleans for years for the levies. If folks want to sue anyone, they should sue the city of New Orleans. JMO

Well said. It seems to me that there was plenty of aid available for those willing to work within the system and help themselves. For those looking only for a handout, it is still rough.

Latest posts