Country Sayings

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
Miss Daisy's post got me to thinking about some of the country phrases that I've heard over the years. Here's one to start...

That'll make a tadpole slap a water mocassin. (Especially good food, for example)

Care to share a few sayings?

on food - you gotta run backwards while you are eating it to keep from swallowing your tongue
- so good it will make you slap your momma

on gossip - you can hear anything in this town but bacon frying and change a jingling

Useless as teats on a boar hog. (pretty self explanatory. Unfortunately, I heard this one a lot growing up... :oops: )

When I was about to get in trouble my dad would say it was gonna get "too wet to plow". "If you stay out later than 10:00, it will be too wet to plow."

I always knew that if my dad called anyone "Buddy" they were about to get their butt kicked. He'd start off a sentence with, "Look here, Buddy".

When it was raining when the sun was shining, my mother used to say that "The devil was beating his wife".

Lammie":25h6qin4 said:
When it was raining when the sun was shining, my mother used to say that "The devil was beating his wife".

When there was thunder, the nuns would say "the angels are bowling".

"Worked like a rented mule". That's a good country sayin'.

When talking about rich people i often heard this..... he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Ma would always say "the devil is going to get you", or "the devil got you".

If I didn't do as she said, "the devil is going to get you", and then when I would fall and hurt myself, she would kinda laugh and say, "the devil got you."

Or she would say things like "I've been breaking by back", "the chickens are coming to roost", "too many irons on the fire" (too many things going on) and the one I heard the most, "Ryan Austin" :roll:

Dad just said things that I can't repeat on here.

Back in the '70's, stock car legend Cale Yarbrough ran at Indy a couple times for Roger Penske. Upon qualifying for the race, Cale was asked the traditional "how do you feel, Cale?". His response: "I'm happy as a kitten on a warm brick".

On good food..."That will make you knock the kids away from the table".

My dad always said "that's musty" meaning must have some more.

My daddy would say, "You need that like a hog needs a side saddle."

My grandmother commenting on a slight defect in clothing, etc. "That could never be seen from a galloping horse."

Alice

Some that I have been known to say. I seem to have quite a few.

"Colder than a well diggers rear end".

"Slower than molasses in January".

"Front pasture cattle".

"Good enough to be a road side fence".

and contrarily, "Can't see it from the road".

"Good enough for government work".

"Good enough for who it's for". (When talking about my own work)

"Make hay while the sun shines".

"We're burning daylight boys".

"S#%@ing ana getting". (When I am really getting something done.)

"Pretty good lick". (same as above)

"Let's roll".

"Saddle up". (although, I never say that because we are actually saddling up)

"Someone call 911, because it has got to be illegal to look this good". (I just made that one up.) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

And my wife will tell you that all of the above annoy her from time to time. She says all I ever say is catch phrases/sayings.

Happy as a pig in $h1t

Funny as a turd in the cistern

Dumb as a rock

My dad would say "That ol' gal is so big if someone told her to haul a$$ she'd have to make two trips".

Selling eggs ain't worth the wear and tear on a hen's a$$

That ol' gal can pee a stream wide as a handsaw blade.

TexasBred":oiv7gaqo said:
My dad would say "That ol' gal is so big if someone told her to haul a$$ she'd have to make two trips".

you eat that and you @$$ will be big enough to land a cessna on

Latest posts