Coughing

Help Support CattleToday:

Beeglebatty

Reaction score
I'm not very good with Cattle problems and need some help. I have a Charlois steer with a cough. He is grazing and eating well, peein and poopin Ok Seems to feel alright but just has the cough. Any ideas what might be causin this and what do I do for it. Thanks for the help.

Since all of mine have been vaccinated, I've about decided that the hot weather, the lack of rain, and the dust and pollen and dried weeds are causing my calves to cough. Not all of them are, but more than one or two, at least for me, is too many.

The only way to know for sure is have him checked by a vet...and then I'd dang near wager no 2 are gonna give you the same answer, unless the animal has pneumonia.

If we don't get some rain and a break in this heat, well, it's gettin' real grim.

Alice

Alice...It has been hot and dry and I have been mowin the pastures around them..Thanks for the help..I'll keep an eye on him...If he doesn't get better would you give him a shot of LA200 or maybe penicillen if so how many CC's for how many days?...Thanks again

I'd give him a shot of nuflor if you can get your hands on it...I think it's 1 cc per hundred pounds, then I'd add about 2 ccs to that...sub Q. Forget the pennicillan, if you can't get the nuflor, and go by the doseage instructions on the LA200 plus 2 or 3 ccs.

That's what I would do...and really, it wouldn't hurt to ask your vet.

Alice

Nuflor is 3cc/100lbs multi-day dosage, or 6cc/100lbs one-time dosage. ;-)

If there is no temperature and its not a digestive problem-- then you don't medicate.
Treating without taking a temperature first just confuses the diagnosis.
Odds are if the ONLY symptom you see is coughing- then being sick is not the number one concern.

Take its temperature- if its normal
Concider
Dry air-- irriatation
Dust-- irratation
Allergies-irratation

Some animals are just more sensitive than others to irritants.

Also concider lung worms

milkmaid":1li798in said:

Thanks, MM. I should've gotten the bottle and looked at it instead of trying to remember. I haven't had to give a shot in a while, thank goodness.

Alice

Alice":ovd9rapv said:
milkmaid":ovd9rapv said:

Thanks, MM. I should've gotten the bottle and looked at it instead of trying to remember. I haven't had to give a shot in a while, thank goodness.

Alice

'Welcome. ;-) Glad yours have been staying healthy - always a good feeling, isn't it? :D

Latest posts