jersey coughing

Help Support CattleToday:

jersey

Reaction score
Ok 5 week old bottle fed jersey bull, just started eating grain, weather wise is chilly been indoors, he is still active, and drinks well and bowel movements r good. But he is coughing not all the time but enough to notice!!! Any advice would be great,

Take it's temp. If it's elevated hit it hard with a real antibiotic, not the crap from the feedstore. You'll have to get it from a vet. If the temp is normal just keep an eye on it for a downward change (Benign Neglect).

Additionally you can look for environmental factors that may be contributing, dusty hay, dirt barn floor getting stirred up, things like that.

Thanks!! I have him in my garage and take him out with the dogs, still too little to be out by the other animals, i will take his temp, he still plays and acts normal.

Is it drafty where the calf is? He probably has pneumonia, not only from draft but it could be other things. Whats his weight?

Not sure on his weight!! His noes is not runny, and it seems like there is grain stuck in his throat, not drafty in the garage, with our older bottle fed jersey coughed to when he started on grain, but that was over 2yrs ago and he was fine, trying to keep them organic but will do what ever it takes if i have to.

What is the temperature in the garage? If you are confortable in your garage, then it is very likely too hot for the calf.

Put your head at the same level as that of the calf; does it smell like ammonia? If yes, you need to change the litter more often and increase air circulation.

Contrary to what some may believe, calves survive very well outdoor in individual hutches, no need to heat the environment unless the calf is severely sick.

Garage is chilli! No breeze!! Lol we have to wear sweaters and sometimes coats, Outside is cold, in the negatives the next 2 days, i took him to my dads today, and he coughed a little there, with our first bottle calf he did it when he started on grain, can that be that? He is eating and drinking and still plays like crazy!! Just trying to understand all of this, he is MY first bottle calf with out my dads 100% super vision!! If it gets worse he will be going to the vet!!

Latest posts