Help Support CattleToday:

dcara":2afyijg0 said:
Paul54 wrote:
dcara wrote:
Quote:
1) No need for herbicides
2) Fertilizer as per soil sample = $42 / acre
3) Fuel for clipping / cutting / baling = $5.00 / acre
4) Labor = Me and Wife - You tell me what quality time in hay field with wife is worth. Very Happy
Something that I didn't mention in earlier post is that I run 1 cow / 1 1/2 acre.
I baled hay this year for $6.35 per bale + Me and Wife. Very Happy
How do some of the rest of ya'll figure Ya'll's hay?
Hope that kind of clear things up. Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks Paul54 that helps alot. I don't want to beat this to death but would like to better understand it.
Your numbers sound about right to me. For bahia I'm guessing you'll get about 1.5 rolls/acre. So with cost inputs per acre of $47 (42+5) and 1.5 rolls per acre gives $31.33/roll Those numbers sound about right. So how do you figure $31.33/roll is 1/3 the cost of buying hay. Certainly you were not paying over $90/roll for cow hay.

I am going to try to get this right this time. Embarassed I bale a 20 acre pasture and I get 148 bales of hay, according to my little wal-mart calculater thats about 7.4 bales per acre. I've only been doing this for about 30 yrs. so what do I know!! Shocked Shocked

Your right. We got about 9 per acre a year off of our fescue/sericea+timothy fields and something better than that off of Johnsongrass, Bahia, or Sudex fields. I couldn't crank a tractor up for that 1.5 bales an acre quote.

Holy Moly! I might just move to Alabama. I thought about adding a line in my last post about the calculation of 7.4 bales/ac but thought it to be ridiculous. The only other variable is the weight, which is what really matters anyway. I mean your not talking about little 400lb rolls or something are you, or the total from multiple cuttings. That is, 3 cuttings at about 2.5 bales/cutting?

After reading that post I am convinced we had more damage from Hurricane Katrina than we were told, or I am hearing a Cinderella story out of La.

Arnold Ziffle":2zrwda7b said:
tmaygspeara --- not to stick my nose in your business but, assuming your dad resides in Louisiana and his property is there as well, it might be a good idea to contact an attorney regarding his property and the estate transfer rules that are peculiar to Louisiana. As I recall, Louisiana is the one state that does not essentially use English common law in regards to rights of succession and instead uses a version of Napoleonic Code. I don't remember the specifics, but I think there used to be "forced kinship" rules in Lousiana, and possibly a parent cannot simply cut a child out of his will under La. state law -- if that indeed is the case your half-siblings would possibly have a shot at the property even if your dad "willed" it all to you. I might be all wet on this, as it comes from way back in the recesses of my mind! But it sounds to me like you have a lot potentially at stake and it seems to me that it would be prudent for you to get with an attorney in order to make sure things are the way you and your dad want them to be before he passes on, to the extent possible under La. law.

That is a great idea... :lol:

Arnold Ziffle":1whoqyde said:
tmaygspeara --- not to stick my nose in your business but, assuming your dad resides in Louisiana and his property is there as well, it might be a good idea to contact an attorney regarding his property and the estate transfer rules that are peculiar to Louisiana. As I recall, Louisiana is the one state that does not essentially use English common law in regards to rights of succession and instead uses a version of Napoleonic Code. I don't remember the specifics, but I think there used to be "forced kinship" rules in Lousiana, and possibly a parent cannot simply cut a child out of his will under La. state law -- if that indeed is the case your half-siblings would possibly have a shot at the property even if your dad "willed" it all to you. I might be all wet on this, as it comes from way back in the recesses of my mind! But it sounds to me like you have a lot potentially at stake and it seems to me that it would be prudent for you to get with an attorney in order to make sure things are the way you and your dad want them to be before he passes on, to the extent possible under La. law.

hi thanks for the reply and the info. Before i really got in deep with my dad, i mad esure we got all the business together. You right in louisiana you cant just leave or cut a child out of the will unless you put it in the will that you dont want the child to recieve anything. My dad took me to the lawyers office with him when he made out his will. Dont get me wrong even though i went with him, i told him this is his stuff and do as he like, i didnt put my wishes and opinion on nothing, but the will is done. he also gave me a copy because my dad knows that went something happens to him they are going to give me hell. Even though my dad kids are like they are, he did not leave them out. my dad has lots of other properties that he own and they are not left out. they might not get their equal share of the pie that they think they are getting but that is their own fault

Latest posts