Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Cost per cow --- per year---Part 2.

This is a spin off of:
Cost per cow --- per year
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82260

Re:
If you have 25 cows or less your cost per year is $500 per cow.
If you have 25 - 50 cows your cost per year is $400 per cow.
If you have more then 50 cows your cost per year is $300 per cow.

I took this over to the "think tank board" for review. Here is what they recommend.

First they agree my numbers are correct, based on the links I have provided as they could not find anything to the contrary.
If you can find any information that contradicts mine, please furnish the URL.

Here are what and where they suggest I make a few changes.
To be sure we are comparing apples to apples, "If you have more then 50 cows your cost per year is $300 per cow." should read " If you have more then 50 cows but not over 200 your cost per year is $300 per cow".
Now you can reverse engineer my numbers to reflect the change in location to between my location and Iowa State University location.

Using round figures. There is a 10% difference between my figures ( location ) ( 300 ) and ISU figure ( location ) ( 332 ). After adjusting my figures ( location ) ( 300 ) by 10 % you get $330 which is close enough to ISU figure ( location ) ( 332 ) to call it accurate.

So based on that theory, here is the new historical proven and easies way to compute your cost if you are north of the Mason Dixon line.
north of the Mason Dixon line
If you have 25 cows or less your cost per year is $550 per cow.
If you have 25 - 50 cows your cost per year is $ 440 per cow.
If you have more then 50 but not more then 200 cows your cost per year is $330 per cow.

If you are in the NW US or north of the US boarder your cost is 10% higher then north of the Mason Dixon line and is as such.
If you have 25 cows or less your cost per year is $605 per cow.
If you have 25 - 50 cows your cost per year is $ 484 per cow.
If you have more then 50 but not more then 200 cows your cost per year is $363. per cow.

These changes were made based solely on the weather in the different location as management has no control what so ever over the weather.
These numbers do not apply to any cattle run on BLM lands.
Nor are they cast in concrete and may vary year to year.

I hope these number help you beginners better understand the financial responsibility you are taking on as a cattleman and provide you with a obtainable goal to reach in your endeavor.
Good luck and may God bless.
SL

South of the Mason Dixon line
If you have 25 cows or less your cost per year is $500 per cow.
If you have 25 - 50 cows your cost per year is $400 per cow.
If you have more then 50 cows your cost per year is $300 per cow.

north of the Mason Dixon line
If you have 25 cows or less your cost per year is $550 per cow.
If you have 25 - 50 cows your cost per year is $ 440 per cow.
If you have more then 50 but not more then 200 cows your cost per year is $330 per cow.

NW US or north of the US boarder
If you have 25 cows or less your cost per year is $605 per cow.
If you have 25 - 50 cows your cost per year is $ 484 per cow.
If you have more then 50 but not more then 200 cows your cost per year is $363. per cow.

It is easier to spread the cost of new trailer tires across 100 head versus 10. Oil for squeeze chute, welding rods - anything unique. Math is math. If you gotta have it, get it done for the least expense possible.

Buying meds and wormer in volume reduces costs too and every animal needs it.

feeding 100 head in a drought can be harder to resolve.

There are no absolutes and there is a such a thing as luck. I myself have been lucky a time or two.

Keeping expenses down and using every advantage you can is where it is at. The cows have to remain healthy to reproduce.

Latest posts