Cost of wood corral

Help Support CattleToday:

This is the style we use. We just push a steel post where the panels meet for pressure areas. Lots of ads on the classifieds for $280 CAD each.
fence-panel.jpg

Silver said:
Free standing panels are the only way to go, IMHO. I try to collect a few more every year. Like Aaron said, they really don't depreciate.

Free standing panels, then buy your self a couple loops and gates to make an alleyway. I bought strong hold loops or A-Frames they call them and made few more to match the corral gates I already had too. Works awesome.

Silver said:
This is the style we use. We just push a steel post where the panels meet for pressure areas. Lots of ads on the classifieds for $280 CAD each.
fence-panel.jpg

Those are on my short list. Can't decide if I want to buy, or build.

Right now I have a REALLY crappy corral, BR and TT saw it, it's laughable at best. Old rusted gates held together with baling twine. That's about to change soon. Not because it doesn't work, it has worked beautifully for many years, in fact, I put the corral up in about an hour one morning in 2015 and it's been there ever since. My cattle are gentle so I rarely have an incident.

However with that said, I despise how it looks, it's depressing, it looks like a rusted pile of crap. Therefore this fall when things cool down, I'm going to use rough cut oak, along with large end posts, and build something to be proud of, possibly with a catwalk around the outer edges, I've seen that in some photos online and it looks great.

[image]370[/image]

I really like how a well built wooden corral looks even if it's old school.

************* said:
Right now I have a REALLY crappy corral, BR and TT saw it, it's laughable at best. Old rusted gates held together with baling twine. That's about to change soon. Not because it doesn't work, it has worked beautifully for many years, in fact, I put the corral up in about an hour one morning in 2015 and it's been there ever since. My cattle are gentle so I rarely have an incident.

However with that said, I despise how it looks, it's depressing, it looks like a rusted pile of crap. Therefore this fall when things cool down, I'm going to use rough cut oak, along with large end posts, and build something to be proud of, possibly with a catwalk around the outer edges, I've seen that in some photos online and it looks great.

[image]370[/image]

I really like how a well built wooden corral looks even if it's old school.

I am redoing mine this year too but my neighbor has best one ive seen made out of guardrails

I have close to the ideal set-up for my bull program. I am lucky in that before we bought the farm, my family spent time an resources to build an great system. I have two large lots and one small one that are guard rail on 4x4 posts. These work excellent for young stock or anyone that needs quarantine without any chance of escape lol! My working pens and alleys outside our barn are square tube stock panels hung on railroad ties. The pens and alley in our barn are 3x6 rough sawn oak on 6x6 posts, all set in the concrete floor. We made sure all working pens and alleys have plenty of gates and swing gates (all heavy duty Sioux brand), so one person can move stock safely and easily.

We should really have a seperate forum for corrals and working pens. This comes up so often, and has been requested before. How about it? I love to see the pens and corrals. I used to make a game of it , trucking, even at hiway speeds, I get good ideas. We started with steers, got stuck with a bunch of heifers, market tanked, had to calve them to make a thin dime. So then we had momma cows, and had to rework the corral system. I think this is typical.

I use cattle panels here and there, but right now, our corral is wood with barbed wire in between and no climb inside the stall. When we lock them up in the corral, we can throw hay over a wall from inside the barn.

I'll get some pictures later.

Latest posts