Cost of wood corral

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus86

Reaction score
I need a small corral but don't have the time or help to do it myself. I want a 30x30 pen with a small catch pen leading to a 30foot alley.

If made out of 2x6 boards and posts what do you all think a fair price for would be to have one built?

I hired a fence building crew to drive the posts and put up the initial boards. Somebody from CT advised me to add the wire panels which I did myself. I'm really glad I listened. As for what you should expect to pay I wouldn't want to hazard a guess.

Haven't had to "escape" one yet. I raise black and red Angus as well as Herefords. Not sure if that's part of the reason why.

I like the portable panels idea and I really admire those steel pipe systems but you don't see many like that up our way.

Portable panels. No question. Can be moved and sold in the future for nearly what you paid originally. Wood is no cheaper here and I live 15 miles from a major sawmill.

Free standing panels are the only way to go, IMHO. I try to collect a few more every year. Like Aaron said, they really don't depreciate.

Silver said:
Free standing panels are the only way to go, IMHO. I try to collect a few more every year. Like Aaron said, they really don't depreciate.

I would strongly recommend free standing pipe panels as well, but I don't know if they are that common in the South. I buy a few extra panels each year as well. And at sales, they always go for new price.

Aaron said:
Silver said:

I would strongly recommend free standing pipe panels as well, but I don't know if they are that common in the South. I buy a few extra panels each year as well. And at sales, they always go for new price.

Every feed store, lumber yard, and any one else that can fit them in their yard sells them around here. There is a place that will custom build them right up the road. I have quite a few 10+ years old from them and I have had some yearlings and cows run and go for the upper deck... no complaints. They will deliver them right to where you want build the pens.

sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'd use wire cattle panels with a board in the middle and one on the top.

We used fence planks and only a few have gotten broken in the 5 years it's been used. The panels make a huge difference.

Who keeps that lot clean like that Tuxedo?

That was when it was brand new. Doesn't look like that today I'm afraid.

I am in the middle of rebuilding a corral system that is nearly an acre in size. Railroad ties and lodge pole pine poles. The RR ties cost me $18 for #1 9 foot ties. The poles cost $1 each. The poles 7 high makes a 6 foot tall fence. I am putting it right back in the foot print of the old corral. The old one out lived a couple owners. I could buy 17 foot rails that are lodgepole about 7 inches in diameter that are cut length wise giving them a flat side. They cost $6.50 per rail.

Aaron said:
Portable panels. No question. Can be moved and sold in the future for nearly what you paid originally. Wood is no cheaper here and I live 15 miles from a major sawmill.

Our cows get their heads under the bottom and push right under, so we can't use those. Clever little Irish cows.

Little Cow said:
Aaron said:

Our cows get their heads under the bottom and push right under, so we can't use those. Clever little Irish cows.

Push in some T-posts and wire tie them to the panels. Puts a stop to that BS. I personally won't put up with fence/corral crawlers.

Aaron said:
Little Cow said:
Aaron said:

Push in some T-posts and wire tie them to the panels. Puts a stop to that BS. I personally won't put up with fence/corral crawlers.
Chain or cable them together, top and bottom.

Little Cow said:
Aaron said:

Find you some heavy duty panels. The ones we are using now are first class. Never even had one bent and between my two neighbors and myself we run 350-400 head of momma cows through them at least twice a year. Easy to move. Heavy, but easy. $100/ea if you buy 25 at the time. I will try to find a picture.

JMJ Farms said:
Little Cow said:
Aaron said:

Find you some heavy duty panels. The ones we are using now are first class. Never even had one bent and between my two neighbors and myself we run 350-400 head of momma cows through them at least twice a year. Easy to move. Heavy, but easy. $100/ea if you buy 25 at the time. I will try to find a picture.

That's a good idea, but out of our budget level. When we built a corral here, I priced out several options and wood, or wood and cattle panel mixed, was cheaper.

I've seen people use a few rows of old highway guard rails for lanes into their chute. That looked really secure.

Little Cow said:
JMJ Farms said:
Little Cow said:

That's a good idea, but out of our budget level. When we built a corral here, I priced out several options and wood, or wood and cattle panel mixed, was cheaper.

I've seen people use a few rows of old highway guard rails for lanes into their chute. That looked really secure.

I've got a working pen built out of guardrail. Very strong. Hard to climb in a hurry! But very strong. As for the heavy duty portable panels, I'm all about saving a dollar. I figured it 6 ways to Sunday and the portable panels were the cheapest option for me. I've got hundreds of welded wire panels. Even though I already have them the portable were cheaper. The 2x6s, posts, and fasteners were gonna be the same amount. Plus the labor. I can build a pen with the portable panels in an hour that would take a week to build outta wood. BUT, it's like everything else in the cow business, every situation is different. It depends on what you have available and how much time you have and whether you're gonna move it.

I had to add about 8000 square feet to mine, and I had to economize. I used 8' pressure treated post (concreted the post haven't leaned yet) set 2' 6" in the ground, with 5'6" out. Sat the post 6' apart, with 4 2" x 6" x 12' pressure treated boards. Ran two strands of barbed wire in the gaps of the boards. Seems to keep them from sticking their head through. it cost about $4 a foot to build. Probably important to say, I don't crowd them in this area. Area where they are worked/loaded is very close to 7' tall, and 2" x 8" boards. It was also expensive to build.

Never been a huge fan of wire panels, but I have a few. I'd be much more inclined to make two passes with woven wire, nailed to wood post than I would be to use panels. Had an arena made that way for years, and it held up pretty well.

Latest posts