Cost of vet

Help Support CattleToday:

warden

Reaction score
I was getting ready to buy a herd of cattle and was wondering how much it cost to have a vet come out and pregnacy check them and check there mouthand verify there age?

That depends on the vet in question. If, like me, you only have 1 option, then you pay what he wants or you don't get it done. Fortunately, the vet I use is reasonable in his prices.

warpaint":3rzzh6we said:
That depends on the vet in question. If, like me, you only have 1 option, then you pay what he wants or you don't get it done. Fortunately, the vet I use is reasonable in his prices.

Good answer. Our vet charges a $10 farm call, a buck and ahlf to palpate and checks teeth as just part of the call with no charge for it unless that would be all he came out for. Another vet charges $75 an hour for wahtever is done plus charges for specific things that he does, that's on top of a $25 farm call. The $75 starts when he starts to your farm.

dun

with my vet, if i haul them to him it is real cheap. he is 3 miles from me. i can have them wormed,shots and preg checked for about $10 a head. i have an excellent vet clinic here. where my other bunch is you can't hardly get anybody to come out. my friend couldn't get anyone to come out and preg check at all.

travlnusa":3j6f7pzq said:
Last vet visit:

Preg checked 3
Tattooed 2
vaccinated 5
drew blood for dna on one
poured 5

Bill was $177.00

Wow. That seems high to me.

I like to do most of my own work when I can. Vet for emergency purposes.

I think its a great idea to have cows preg checked and aged before you buy them. I bet you the vet can save you money ,whatever his/her cost is.

travlnusa":2tldkfuk said:
Last vet visit:

Preg checked 3
Tattooed 2
vaccinated 5
drew blood for dna on one
poured 5

Bill was $177.00

Was the farm call included? What kind of Vaccs, Bangs or 8 way? Who sent in the DNA? Lots of things can add up.

The only Vet around here to see cattle charges 35 for a farm call, about 15 miles away. But I think she is very fair with her pricing. I have never had her out, and I have yet to use her on my cattle (knocking on wood right now). But, I have hauled horses and my wifes goat to her so far.

My main horse Vet charges about 125 for a farm call, 2 hrs away, but they are very good, I'll gladly pay it again if needed. They come out if I have more then 2 horses that need work, if not I haul to them.

Alan

i always take my bulls out in July, and then preg check in Oct., when i do my semi-annual shots and worm. usually they are 2nd period(between 3 - 6 months).

Sorry for the delay in responding, was busy with a labor day party we host each year.

The $177 included the farm visit. Keep in mind that I am quite new at this and once a year, I like having vet give all a once over to look for things that I don't even know exist.

I agree that I can do alot of the work myself for less. I dont mind paying the vet a high margin visit once per year, knowing that when I need him at Sunday at 2am, my business is worth his while. We have discussed this very thing.

travlnusa":1wvont9g said:
Sorry for the delay in responding, was busy with a labor day party we host each year.

The $177 included the farm visit. Keep in mind that I am quite new at this and once a year, I like having vet give all a once over to look for things that I don't even know exist.

I agree that I can do alot of the work myself for less. I dont mind paying the vet a high margin visit once per year, knowing that when I need him at Sunday at 2am, my business is worth his while. We have discussed this very thing.

Good thtought, vets love us hobby "ranchers" :D

Alan

I don't know where everybody is but we are about 50 miles east of San Antonio and I've had to have my vet out twice in the last two months for horse problems. I think I paid for at least two semesters of college for his kids. :shock: Z

Alan":ym2l79ff said:
travlnusa":ym2l79ff said:

Good thtought, vets love us hobby "ranchers" :D

Alan

Yeah they do, the oldtimers have learned how to do most of it themselves. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: I could name on one hand the number of times the vet has been out - not including health papers and bangs vacinations - in the last 4 years.

travlnusa":229evo3w said:
I agree that I can do alot of the work myself for less. I dont mind paying the vet a high margin visit once per year, knowing that when I need him at Sunday at 2am, my business is worth his while.

just repeating that.

large animal vets are getting hard to come by and rural areas are facing a crisis.

Latest posts