Cost of Flushing

Help Support CattleToday:

Bronco

Reaction score
We have a cow that we would like to flush. I was just wondering the cost of the drugs to bring them into super ovulation, flushing, and embryo transplanting in recip cows.
What other cost are we going to experience?

Bronco":2x2aqfta said:
We have a cow that we would like to flush. I was just wondering the cost of the drugs to bring them into super ovulation, flushing, and embryo transplanting in recip cows.
What other cost are we going to experience?

I usually pay around $3-400 bucks per flush and implant. Course some of that is mileage.

Of course you need to sync the recips and there might be an extra charge for freezing any eggs you have leftover.

Plan on maybe spending $ for nothing though. There are no guarantees.

Going to have a cow flushed on the 18, depending on the price of your seman that you use excpect to spend around a $1000

Hutch":26b320bz said:
Going to have a cow flushed on the 18, depending on the price of your seman that you use excpect to spend around a $1000
Sounds high to me . I usually have around 800.00 $ in a flush which includes usually transfering maybe 7 and maybe freezing 5 or so . We flushed 3 last week and froze 24 eggs for $1875 with all drugs included.average is 300 to flush and 50 to transfer or freeze per embryo

semen demon":1rqe20p6 said:
Hey hutch , who is flushing your cows?
Select Sires, flush is $350, $100 to freeze embryos, $35 per embryo to grade and sort, $290 in semen and $60 for vet to check for cl's. That comes to $800 with out any grading or sorting. I guess my $1000 may be off a little but I hate going into somthing and find out it cost me more than I planed on.

Hutch":2gdf631l said:
semen demon":2gdf631l said:
Select Sires, flush is $350, $100 to freeze embryos, $35 per embryo to grade and sort, $290 in semen and $60 for vet to check for cl's. That comes to $800 with out any grading or sorting. I guess my $1000 may be off a little but I hate going into somthing and find out it cost me more than I planed on.

How many times are you breeding that cow? That's $145/unit for the standard 2 inseminations. Maybe I'm just cheap.

Who do they have doing the flushing at Select Embryos now?

certherfbeef":z2i2188i said:
Hutch":z2i2188i said:
semen demon":z2i2188i said:

How many times are you breeding that cow? That's $145/unit for the standard 2 inseminations. Maybe I'm just cheap.

Who do they have doing the flushing at Select Embryos now?
They have me inseminating her 3-4 times. I going to go with 3. That price inculeded the shipping on the semen. I live in NE IN. so I'm in North Stars district, the techs name in Norman Gunuine. ( not sure I spelled his name right) This is the first time I have had any flushing done. We are flushing for club caves.

Hutch":o7eb4smx said:
semen demon":o7eb4smx said:

$100 is to much to freeze embryos , and charge to grade of $35. my embryologist is one of the best in the nation and he gets $275 to flush and 50$ to freeze grading is free as you can grade them while searching the dish for them. all thier prices sound high to me.

polledbull":2zrp19kw said:
Hutch":2zrp19kw said:
semen demon":2zrp19kw said:

$100 is to much to freeze embryos , and charge to grade of $35. my embryologist is one of the best in the nation and he gets $275 to flush and 50$ to freeze grading is free as you can grade them while searching the dish for them. all thier prices sound high to me.
I'm starting to see that I'm paying to much, maybe it's time to shop around a little!

I'm starting to see that I'm paying to much, maybe it's time to shop around a little![/quote]

When were you planning this flush? There is a new facility in Springfield Ohio called The Genetic Connection. Run by trans ova genetics. I hear that they do a good job. Thought about hauling the bull out there to be collected. You can drop the donor off and pick her up when the deed is done. They will even house the donors.
I'll pm you with there info if you want.

The peripheral cost in flush work is where the real expense lies. The cost of missing a calf from on of your best cows, the cost of buying and running recips. The danger of never getting the donor to breed again. It is an expensive game when all costs are considered.

You guys should check out Double Diamond genetics in Chrisman IL. I youst to be the herdsman and breeder there. I don't remember what his billing list was, nut he takes alot better care of your cow than trans ova does. Clear Creek Farms runs a recipe herd in the same area.

Another good embryologist is Dr. Horseman at Purdue University. I don't have a number for him, but I can get it.

Double Diamond 217-269-2382

Clear Creek Farms 217-269-3104

Latest posts