cost of Embryo Transfer calf

Help Support CattleToday:

City Guy

Reaction score
Can any of you give me a range of costs to expect when using embryo transfer to produce a calf. I know it's a wide open question. How big a budget to get from nothing to a high quality PB beef weanling? Suppose I use sexed semen.
I understand there are companies that take care of every detail and have a healthy calf for the client at weaning.

I could get you set up with a high quality PB beef weanling for 8 to 10 thousand dollars, and give you a choice off bull or heifer calf.

Ballpark is $400 for the flush, $50/embryo to freeze or transfer. Then you have cost of drugs + semen, and maybe board. Pretty economical if you didn't spend megabucks on the donor and she flushes good.

You need to shop around for embryos. Some of the online auctions don't seem to have legitimate prices to me.
If you are going to pay $300 or $400 for an embryo they should be from an outstanding donor.
I had a bill for about $173. That was for a bottle of Lutalyse, a bottle of Multimin, one embryo implanted and mileage. The cost of implant is $60. Not sure about flushing or IVF. I would also use ConceptAid minerals. The main thing for your recips is body condition. The better the body condition the higher the conception rate.

Red Bull Breeder; How much for a flush? Can I supply the semen? I know it depends on how many embryos are harvested. But I figure if I'm going to do it I might as well go for all I can afford. I had guesstimated the cost to be $5000 per live calf but I see I was too low. What breed of red cattle do you raise? Thanx

Are you asking about purchasing the embryos already "made" and ready to put in? Or flushing a cow and putting them into you recips? Or buying a flush you have to supply the semen for? Or recips already carrying an ET calf? As you can see, there are many factors that contribute to the overall cost. It can cost just a few hundred to get really good embryos and have them put in your own recips, on up to thousands for a flush job or right to flush.

Latest posts