Cost of a dozen eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike":s2eklkuv said:
I know alot of folks like those black snakes (or King snakes) because they eat mice or rats. But when you go gather eggs, and see one of thoe in a nest... it kinda gets your dander up a bit. Or to have them take a swipe at you when you dont see em laying on top of the hen's nests...

I have, three times now, almost picked up a snake gathering eggs. Twice in the same night. Saw snake, shot snake. Went to the next box, saw another snake... It will take years off your life.

My funny snake/chicken story:

We were on the back porch, Steve and I, and heard the most gawd awful sound. Went out to the hen house to investigate and saw a coachwhip snake strangling the life out of a chicken. I ran and got the shotgun, all the while my son William, then about 9, was in his room. I didn't tell him where we were. Anyhoo, ran out there and Steve fired off a couple of shots at the snake.

Meanwhile, my son, hearing the commotion and not being able to find us, freaks out and calls 911. About that time, we walk back in the house. He sees me and hangs up. I guess he thought Steve had finally had enough and had murdered me.

"What were you doing, son?"

He'd hung up on the 911 operator. I didn't know this until she called back. I explained the whole thing, but naturally we have to have an officer come visit.

After a good long chat with the kid, in which the deputy tells William he did the right thing, and a visit to the hen house to look at the remains of the snake and dead chicken, we all got settled in and went to bed. I felt like we were in an episode of "Cops".

Lammie":rl73phow said:
My funny snake/chicken story:

We were on the back porch, Steve and I, and heard the most gawd awful sound. Went out to the hen house to investigate and saw a coachwhip snake strangling the life out of a chicken. I ran and got the shotgun, all the while my son William, then about 9, was in his room. I didn't tell him where we were. Anyhoo, ran out there and Steve fired off a couple of shots at the snake.

Meanwhile, my son, hearing the commotion and not being able to find us, freaks out and calls 911. About that time, we walk back in the house. He sees me and hangs up. I guess he thought Steve had finally had enough and had murdered me.

"What were you doing, son?"

He'd hung up on the 911 operator. I didn't know this until she called back. I explained the whole thing, but naturally we have to have an officer come visit.

After a good long chat with the kid, in which the deputy tells William he did the right thing, and a visit to the hen house to look at the remains of the snake and dead chicken, we all got settled in and went to bed. I felt like we were in an episode of "Cops".

If you have funny stories like this one, you may be a redneck.

I think that if you have any stories involving chickens you might be a redneck.