corriente charolais cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Toad":235b4576 said:
Muddy":235b4576 said:
Toad, dang you're too quickly to criticize...
I'm sorry if that came across as too critical. As I said I completely understand the idea of using cheap cows to make a buck, I'm doing it right now. But I think all of us on this forum would take top of the line cattle if thats what we could afford, thats all I'm saying. If someone is looking for really good cattle we shouldn't be recommending something that most likely isn't going to work.
Over 50% of my herd is someone elses culls. I've done the math and in the current market and my limited financial position thats what I can make the most $$$$$ currently. The market is willing to pay good money for questionable light calves so I'm taking advantage of it. But I don't see that as a long term sustainable model, do you? At some point the market will correct itself and then you better have quality calves if you plan on making a living. Maybe I'm reading this all wrong, I certainly don't have the years of experience that some do here.

Youre dead nuts right in my book. You work within your financial means, all the while constantly striving to improve the quality of your product. If you pay attention to the gentleman on this board who have been at this for decades, they all pretty consistently tell you this same thing. Get ahead of the pack, or get left behind. And when they are inclined to post pics of their cattle, it dang sure proves they practice what they preach. Everyone has to start somewhere, and thats different for all of us...but the one thing we should all have in common is the desire to constantly improve our end product. :2cents:

Toad":3ss5pv8u said:
Muddy":3ss5pv8u said:
Toad, dang you're too quickly to criticize...
I'm sorry if that came across as too critical. As I said I completely understand the idea of using cheap cows to make a buck, I'm doing it right now. But I think all of us on this forum would take top of the line cattle if thats what we could afford, thats all I'm saying. If someone is looking for really good cattle we shouldn't be recommending something that most likely isn't going to work.
Over 50% of my herd is someone elses culls. I've done the math and in the current market and my limited financial position thats what I can make the most $$$$$ currently. The market is willing to pay good money for questionable light calves so I'm taking advantage of it. But I don't see that as a long term sustainable model, do you? At some point the market will correct itself and then you better have quality calves if you plan on making a living. Maybe I'm reading this all wrong, I certainly don't have the years of experience that some do here.

Actually I don't think you did.
It cost the same or more to keep a sub par bovine in the pasture that is going to return less income
to boot.
Think too many get caught up in quantity and not quality, when this market down turns and it will
some of those cows are going to have a real hard time turning a profit.
If I could run 10 really good cows or 20 mediocre cows I would pick the 10 as I can build off that.
Quality brings the premium.

I agree with Caustic on this. At 450 lbs weaning there is 100+ lbs left on the table and at todays prices that is a lot of money. Multiply that over 10 or so calves per cow and a real beef cow starts looking like a better investment.

HOSS":1ln3u7im said:
I agree with Caustic on this. At 450 lbs weaning there is 100+ lbs left on the table and at todays prices that is a lot of money. Multiply that over 10 or so calves per cow and a real beef cow starts looking like a better investment.

+1 :nod: I think the strong market is very forgiving and allowing folks to make some money doing some things that flat wont work in more difficult times. Im sure the smart ones are saving that money theyre making and reinvesting in QUALITY, productive cattle (in preparation for the correction that will come eventually). Those that arent (and believe they can always get buy on lower quality stock) will most likely be in for a bitter wakeup call. CBs post is chock full of economic wisdom.

I have seen farms payed for with longhorn cows. They was some sharp operators that done it. Longhorn cows could be bought at that time for 250 to 300 hundred dollars a head. They could and did run those longhorns a lot cheaper than most folks are willing to do. One of them told me the worse mistake he made with his longhorns cows was to pour wormer on them. They have mostly bred the longhorn out of them now.

Red Bull Breeder":3poarnej said:
I have seen farms payed for with longhorn cows. They was some sharp operators that done it. Longhorn cows could be bought at that time for 250 to 300 hundred dollars a head. They could and did run those longhorns a lot cheaper than most folks are willing to do. One of them told me the worse mistake he made with his longhorns cows was to pour wormer on them. They have mostly bred the longhorn out of them now.

Or they thought they did. Seen the same thing here with them getting in a truck on their way to work
everyday. Cows would have taken decades to pay off this place timber paid it off.
When prices get back in range and they will the quality cow that is turning a 1000 dollar
profit today is going to be back at 250 to 300 dollars a head running an operation tighter than
a crabsass. And that is waterproof.

Well CB I am pretty sure they did it with cows. They ran cows for a living. Now they wasn't riding JD cab tractors and driving 4 door diesel trucks. They wasn't hauling feed and throwing fertilize all over the place either. But they did have some of the better longhorn cow I have seen. They knew to sell before you could see the longhorn in those calves.

bird dog":1o0yz06e said:
I doubt you will get what you want. Probably a horned, thin butted, spotted animal that will make a good roping calf. Welcome to the forum
About right , calves won't be much either, but will probably also be the easiest keeping, quickest to breed back, best mama cow you've got.

I will weigh in a little here. I'm seeing tons of high priced calves come thru the yard. The top end is over priced. The bottom end is really really over priced. When the correction comes, it's going to hit the lower quality cattle first. When we get back to a more recognizable market, a low quality calf is going to have a hard time paying momma's feed bill. Input cost aren't going to drop just because cattle did. IMHO, you want to top the sale, everytime you haul a calf off. It's important now, and it's especially important in lean times. There really aren't a lot of corners to cut on raising cows and calves. My best cow cost me as much to maintain, as my worst. I'm not saying all my cows are front lot cows. I am saying a high production cow will always be more profitable than a low preformer.

Bigfoot":3xa1tgjw said:
I will weigh in a little here. I'm seeing tons of high priced calves come thru the yard. The top end is over priced. The bottom end is really really over priced. When the correction comes, it's going to hit the lower quality cattle first. When we get back to a more recognizable market, a low quality calf is going to have a hard time paying momma's feed bill. Input cost aren't going to drop just because cattle did. IMHO, you want to top the sale, everytime you haul a calf off. It's important now, and it's especially important in lean times. There really aren't a lot of corners to cut on raising cows and calves. My best cow cost me as much to maintain, as my worst. I'm not saying all my cows are front lot cows. I am saying a high production cow will always be more profitable than a low preformer.
Very well said especially the part about low quality taking a hit when market corrects. When times get hard the cream will rise to the top.

Red Bull Breeder":2sosyfo1 said:
Bigfoot I disagree with you a little. The correction will be straight across the board and cut deep.

Your probably right. I've seen jersey, holstein, Longhorns, and some really hard beef calves command some pretty high prices this spring. I'm talking about beef calves that look a year old, and weigh 350 pounds. Those are the cattle I really had in mind for the correction. I really gotta wonder on some of those cases, why they are so high? Are people feeding cattle that "in need" of something to feed?

Red Bull Breeder":3v0156bc said:

Those days are over the order buyer is educated in what the feedlot wants.
If it won't grade you are going to get crap prices.
It is just like buying a tract of timber selling the timber to pay for clear and fence the land
days are over as well.
You will go broke running crappy cattle through the barn when this gets back where it should be.

You will go broke running crappy cattle through the barn when this gets back where it should be.[/quote]
This is where the price of good quality cattle should be. IMO But the lower quality cattle should be a lot cheaper. BQA and quality cattle should fetch a premium.

I don't know much about corrientes but there are good longhorns that can wean as big or bigger calves than good cows of most breeds bred to the same bull. The calves still look like longhorns and will not grade the same though. When the supply increases, they will go back to bringing about half what a good calf will. That said, right now would be a good time to unload a whole herd of them. Probably a good time for most commercial guys to cull heavy. I think it's getting close to turning by the looks of all the heifers I see being kept around here. If it's the same most places, when they become productive, it's going to change things a little.

Red Bull Breeder":3rxqe7a7 said:
CB if what you are saying is right why does your Hereford sell so cheap.

Simple put it is not black and is slower growing than a crossbred calf that will grade.
The cowman wants black instead of buying a red cow and using a black bull.
The Hereford will be middle of the pack they will not draw a premium.
The braford they will fight over and they will make up the hit in steer calves
on extra pounds. I have one Hereford left for AI if a wild hair hits me.
So far it hasn't hit just too much money in the black baldie.
Everything else standing in the pasture is an 1/8 to 1/4 Brahman.

highgrit":3nlm2bii said:
You will go broke running crappy cattle through the barn when this gets back where it should be.
This is where the price of good quality cattle should be. IMO But the lower quality cattle should be a lot cheaper. BQA and quality cattle should fetch a premium.[/quote]

Agreed, but sadly, even premium cattle will fall back to the 'normal' pricing.

bball":30y1563k said:
highgrit":30y1563k said:
This is where the price of good quality cattle should be. IMO But the lower quality cattle should be a lot cheaper. BQA and quality cattle should fetch a premium.

Agreed, but sadly, even premium cattle will fall back to the 'normal' pricing.[/quote]
Even quality shorthorn and hereford calves don't bring the same what the blacks bring.

Muddy":19i3b0xt said:
bball":19i3b0xt said:
highgrit":19i3b0xt said:

Agreed, but sadly, even premium cattle will fall back to the 'normal' pricing.
Even quality shorthorn and hereford calves don't bring the same what the blacks bring.[/quote]

Truth.

Latest posts