Correction

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ouachita @Travlr

I'd put money on the fuel guage inop being the sending unit in the tank. Especially with the mileage.

Easy enough to test. Ya gotta get to the connector on the fuel pump tho. Just ground the wire going to the fuel guage. It should indicate full when grounded.

I almost forgot.
Don't those trucks do a guage sweep when ya turn the key on?
If the fuel guage "sweeps" it ain't the guage or motor.
That can also be made to "sweep" with a scan tool. Rules out the guage.

The digital odometer is super prone to failure.

There five things I have done once in my life, and 1 time was enough. I am a fast leaner. I have had one marriage, one divorce, one root canal, jumped out of one airplane ( well thrown out kicking and screaming is more accurate) and rode 1 bull. Those are 5 things I will never do again.

I was at a rodeo in 1980 in Athens, roping in the slack. Bunch of us hanging around waiting, like we do at rodeos, and shooting the ****. One of my friends that knew me, told the group "Old Warren there( I was 22-23) has never been bucked off a horse, and never will be". And that I still true today, knock on wood. I did get bucked off a mule in 2006 and broke my arm and my back in 2 places, though. Well one thing led to another, and one guy said " I bet he can't go 2 seconds on a bull though." Finally , they talked me into it. They paid for me to enter as an exhibition, loaned me the rig, etc. So before long, I found myself being helped down on one, and they were all helping me get set right, rope right and all. I remember thinking "I might not ought to do this. Even if I win...ride it 8 seconds, there is only one way off. They don't do pick-up men in bulls." I was still thinking I ought to tell them never mind, get me undone and off of here, when the old gate guy said " Get ya a deep seat and a far-away look...I am fixin to turn this mother out!!! SOB!!! 1st jump out the gate I was trying to hold on with my spurs and both hands. Hell with a qualified run, I was just trying to buy time til I could think of how to get off and not be killed.

I remember as a kid, being towed on an innertube behind a boat, and the driver started running wide ass open in a big circle. I was picking up speed every few feet. I wanted to turn lose and get off, but was scared, and the faster we got the more scared to turn lose I was, until finally the tube and me went airborn, then skipping across the lake like a thrown stone. I should have gotten off sooner. Well, that was how I felt on that bull, trying to figure out what to do and it was getting worse every second. In retrospect I wish I had grabbed the gate and just let him run out from other me. The cowboys were hootin and hollering and laughing at me. I don't know how long I rode him, but it was a LONG time. I heard the buzzer seems like hours before I finally got off. They were hollering "Damn, son, you about got him kid-broke to ride". and "Warren, you got him side passing now". and " Get off the bull, Warren, you are wearing him out"! Well finally he throwed my ass off with a jump and when his front feet hit he did a 360. I went flying, eating dirt, and sure enough what I feared... he nailed me. 4 broke ribs, but hey: I had 20 friends rolling around laughing til their sides hurt damn near as bad as mine with the broke ribs!

There is no tougher athlete in the world in any sport than a bullrider. And the best and toughest of them are the bullfighters. The one that got that bull of me got gored and busted up a little, getting between that bul and me til the other one drug me out form under it.

If they would give convicts root canals in stead of prison, we'd see almost zero repeat offenders.

I fought a Navy Seal for 8 minutes and nearly tore a strut off the wing before he got me out of the plane, but how that came to pass that is a story for another day.
Warren, you sure gave me my chuckle for the day! Thanks a million!

@Ouachita @Travlr

I'd put money on the fuel guage inop being the sending unit in the tank. Especially with the mileage.

Easy enough to test. Ya gotta get to the connector on the fuel pump tho. Just ground the wire going to the fuel guage. It should indicate full when grounded.

I almost forgot.
Don't those trucks do a guage sweep when ya turn the key on?
If the fuel guage "sweeps" it ain't the guage or motor.
That can also be made to "sweep" with a scan tool. Rules out the guage.

The digital odometer is super prone to failure.

I have a 2006 Chevy, and the sending unit has been out for years. I use my trip odometer for a gas gauge. I reset it every time I fill up with gas, and them make sure to get more gas before it gets to 300 miles.

I have a 2006 Chevy, and the sending unit has been out for years. I use my trip odometer for a gas gauge. I reset it every time I fill up with gas, and them make sure to get more gas before it gets to 300 miles.
That's what I was doing until the odometer quit. My fuel gauge stopped working when I had the fuel pump replaced several years ago at about 160k.

There five things I have done once in my life, and 1 time was enough. I am a fast leaner. I have had one marriage, one divorce, one root canal, jumped out of one airplane ( well thrown out kicking and screaming is more accurate) and rode 1 bull. Those are 5 things I will never do again.

I was at a rodeo in 1980 in Athens, roping in the slack. Bunch of us hanging around waiting, like we do at rodeos, and shooting the ****. One of my friends that knew me, told the group "Old Warren there( I was 22-23) has never been bucked off a horse, and never will be". And that I still true today, knock on wood. I did get bucked off a mule in 2006 and broke my arm and my back in 2 places, though. Well one thing led to another, and one guy said " I bet he can't go 2 seconds on a bull though." Finally , they talked me into it. They paid for me to enter as an exhibition, loaned me the rig, etc. So before long, I found myself being helped down on one, and they were all helping me get set right, rope right and all. I remember thinking "I might not ought to do this. Even if I win...ride it 8 seconds, there is only one way off. They don't do pick-up men in bulls." I was still thinking I ought to tell them never mind, get me undone and off of here, when the old gate guy said " Get ya a deep seat and a far-away look...I am fixin to turn this mother out!!! SOB!!! 1st jump out the gate I was trying to hold on with my spurs and both hands. Hell with a qualified run, I was just trying to buy time til I could think of how to get off and not be killed.

I remember as a kid, being towed on an innertube behind a boat, and the driver started running wide ass open in a big circle. I was picking up speed every few feet. I wanted to turn lose and get off, but was scared, and the faster we got the more scared to turn lose I was, until finally the tube and me went airborn, then skipping across the lake like a thrown stone. I should have gotten off sooner. Well, that was how I felt on that bull, trying to figure out what to do and it was getting worse every second. In retrospect I wish I had grabbed the gate and just let him run out from other me. The cowboys were hootin and hollering and laughing at me. I don't know how long I rode him, but it was a LONG time. I heard the buzzer seems like hours before I finally got off. They were hollering "Damn, son, you about got him kid-broke to ride". and "Warren, you got him side passing now". and " Get off the bull, Warren, you are wearing him out"! Well finally he throwed my ass off with a jump and when his front feet hit he did a 360. I went flying, eating dirt, and sure enough what I feared... he nailed me. 4 broke ribs, but hey: I had 20 friends rolling around laughing til their sides hurt damn near as bad as mine with the broke ribs!

There is no tougher athlete in the world in any sport than a bullrider. And the best and toughest of them are the bullfighters. The one that got that bull of me got gored and busted up a little, getting between that bul and me til the other one drug me out form under it.

If they would give convicts root canals in stead of prison, we'd see almost zero repeat offenders.

I fought a Navy Seal for 8 minutes and nearly tore a strut off the wing before he got me out of the plane, but how that came to pass that is a story for another day.
Liked your story but get it correct you had two bull rides. The first and the last makes two.

Great leaders will except better ideas, if it works better and gets the job done.
There's nothing wrong with being wrong, that's how you learn, now if you can't except better ideas, you shouldn't be in a leadership position.
Myself, I learn something everyday, and am thankful for it.

Hey there Mountain Creek, I'm sorry I muddied up your message. I think it'd be great if we could all get along, at least enough to change the diapers on the cranky ones.

Hey there Mountain Creek, I'm sorry I muddied up your message. I think it'd be great if we could all get along, at least enough to change the diapers on the cranky ones.

No problem.
I am pretty sure you can't hurt my feelings, I had an ex wife, 2 older sisters, 1 older brother. The original post wasn't about me. Life's too short to get twisted over comments, but some people really take it seriously.
Debate is healthy and informative, pounding someone isn't.
I learned some really incredible stuff in the last few weeks. Didn't understand some of the medical terms...but it was great just to be able to read it. And see the pictures. I can't get that anywhere else.

Thanks for posting that video , @Ouachita . This song is about losing a brother. I needed that tonight. I had just an hour earlier learned of the passing of a long-time friend, a brother that at one time in our lives, at certain times and situations, my life was in his hands, and his life in mine. We shed blood together, and were always there for the other one in times of tragedy...death of a child, spouse, parent. It is often said in the biker community" A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be right in there with you. But a brother will say " You stay out of it, I will handle it for you". Wahoo was that kind of brother, and I am to him. and now, I have one last thing to do for him

@Mountaintown Creek Ranch , thank you for the OP. This thread has been around the world and back. but I think most people got your message. I have noticed discussions and debates on the forumn being a little more respectful, and mature since you started this thread. And I tell you, there have been several the last few weeks that I have found very informative. Can't help but think how much more we all could have learned if it had always been how it has been lately. When everyone on here is respectful and mature and professional, there is no place on the internet..no one spot.. that someone seeking knowledge of cattle and cattle-related topics could go to. and find so much info in one site. We have members from every state, all over Canada, a couple of European countries, Australia and New Zealand, Central and South America. About a half dozen veternarians. Successful ranchers from the bitter north, the deserts, semi tropical and tropical climates it doesn't matter where you are, and what your question is some one on here will have been there and had that situation to deal with.

Bulls aren't hard to ride, there hard to get off. Going over the dash or out the tailgate is never recommended and usually only one door is the safest of the unsafe ways of exit. Rode a many one back in the day.
It's a guarantee to an injury if you do it long enough.

Bulls aren't hard to ride, there hard to get off. Going over the dash or out the tailgate is never recommended and usually only one door is the safest of the unsafe ways of exit. Rode a many one back in the day.
It's a guarantee to an injury if you do it long enough.
One time was long enough for me to get 4 broke ribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts