correct hay cutting height??

Help Support CattleToday:

White clovers here and in GA act as perennials. In severe weather they can also return from seed but normally will dry up and wait for rain. Get down and take a look at what you cut for hay at 1", 2", 3", 4" ... and ask yourself 1- will the animals eat this and do well & 2- If I were buying hay would I want to see this in the bales. There is a huge difference in quality and quantity. Like silage, corn used to be cut close and then studies proved that the bottom 18" wasn't worth hauling to the silo because the cows did little from eating it. As dry as we are right now if the fescue was cut to less than 4" it will knock it in the head.

Ebenezer...where is here and yes it may act as a perennial but it is an annual with some reseeding capability and some is better than others at the reseeding but any will eventually need to be reseeded by the producer.

There are both annual and perrenial clovers. The typical red and white clovers found in midwest hayfields and pastures are perrenials.

Rajela":1oowqxfu said:
Ebenezer...where is here and yes it may act as a perennial but it is an annual with some reseeding capability and some is better than others at the reseeding but any will eventually need to be reseeded by the producer.
Piedmont region of SC which would be a few hours from the hayfield under discussion. We would be slightly warmer here on the average. What takes out white clovers is a breakout of viruses. That is according to the man who developed Durana and Patriot; told me himself. Now they have a better one to release this year, I hear. I've just been doing this for only 50+ years so you might be right! Always good to learn.

Rajela":sdbbyfde said:
dun":sdbbyfde said:
M.Magis":sdbbyfde said:
There are both annual and perrenial clovers. The typical red and white clovers found in midwest hayfields and pastures are perrenials.
Correct.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7490.html

That is funny..LOL you post a link about clover being a weed / pest....this article covers it a little better.

https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-3137.pdf
Different things are classified as weeds in different areas. Here, johnson grass is considered a noxious weed as is serecia lepedeza. Doesn;t stop people from growing it making hay with it. The reason I posted that particular link is the explanation of the different types of clover.

If it's a disc mower, sometimes you can achieve that additional height by tilting the cutter back a little further

Latest posts