Corn vs pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I currently have 2 locked up, 1 steer and 1 heifer for fall butcher. I just ran out of 12% pellets. For the final say 3 months, I want to corn feed, corn is hard to come by right now but I found some. Pellets though can be delivered today. Will there be much difference in meat quality corn vs pellets for the next 90 days or so?

Yes major difference. You are not comparing apples to apples. Corn is energy. Too much energy with out exercise creates fat; i.e. finish.
12% protein is just that a protein supplement that is added to an energy source to make a balanced ration.

So SBMF, are the protein pellets satisfactory in finishing? As for the corn, I'll have to haul it myself which is no problem, but the question becomes, can I feed the corn as I was the pellets, 5 gallons every other day, or drop the amount and slowly build up.
Keep in mind, they have been on pellets for awhile now, they get 5 gallon bucket every other day. They also have 5 acres of grass that is in pretty good shape

I think a big question will be, "What are the pellets made up of?" To finish on corn, start at 1.5-2% of body weight per day. Slowly increase the amount until they are not cleaning it all up. Don't increase too fast or the animal can develop acidosis (don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:). You should eventually get up to about 25lb of corn per day, depending on the animal size. Of course, a good source of hay or forage and fresh water should also be available. A scoop or two of pellets for protein is also a good idea.

You will have better results by feeding corn every day or twice a day. @Jeanne - Simme Valley can fill you in on her process of finishing. Your goal is to provide excess energy that will be stored as fat. The longer they are on corn the better to help develop the intramuscular fat that gives you the marbling.

@sstterry - Glad you are a believer!
12% protein is more than they need at this stage. Corn is 9% and that is enough. I feed whole shell corn. You don't want to switch too quickly. Always best to blend old with new feed. I would feed 1/2 WSC and 1/2 of your pellets, slowly increasing % of corn. As you get low on pellets, you should be close to all corn and just a little pellets.
Never abruptly switch feed. Always plan on transitioning from 1 to another.

@sstterry - Glad you are a believer!
12% protein is more than they need at this stage. Corn is 9% and that is enough. I feed whole shell corn. You don't want to switch too quickly. Always best to blend old with new feed. I would feed 1/2 WSC and 1/2 of your pellets, slowly increasing % of corn. As you get low on pellets, you should be close to all corn and just a little pellets.
Never abruptly switch feed. Always plan on transitioning from 1 to another.
Do you feed any rumensin? What are you using for scratch? Limited hay?

I only feed my fall born steers to be finished at 12-13 months old. So they are on junk pasture and dry hay until grass quits in ? Sept. Then just dry hay.
They are eating around 24# WSC now.
Yes. The mineral has Rumensin.

Latest posts