Corn Stalk Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

An option would be feeding Purina Accuration and Corn Stalk Hay.

Accuration
Protein NPN Fat Ca P Vit A
Accuration 2HL
32.0 16.0 9.0 1.0-2.0 1.0 20,000

If it is actually "hay" then it was cut with the corn on the stalk, dried and baled. Like oats hay, it is cut with the grain in the head, dried, baled. Oats straw is baled after the oats are harvested and the stalk remains in the field and is baled. So technically speaking it would be hay straw. :frowns: Great bedding and filler for their stomachs if they eat it. Otherwise great bedding they can pick through/glean from.

BRAFORDMAN":1b2zl0k4 said:

Accuration
Accuration 2HL
Have you priced this stuff? I haven't but last I heard it was dang near $800 a ton and some nasty shyt to deal with. You can get liquid feed with almost the same analysis at half the cost. Corn stalks will keep'em full and busy ruminating. Not much else.

I know baled corn stalks don't have much nutrition in them. What about when they're still green?
We picked our sweet corn (what the grasshoppers & racoons didn't get :bang: ) and have been giving the stalks to the calves. They eat it like its candy and bawl for more. I'm concerned about turning them loose to graze it because they'll ignore their hay, although not their grain, in favor of the corn stalks.
I know there was a link posted a while back with a nutritional chart for different forages, but I'll be darned if I can find it again. My searches have been fruitless thus far. :oops:

Cattle love the stuff as well as the shucks off the ears of corn. Might want to keep an eye out for possibility of bloat if they overdo it.

TexasBred":1cln89h6 said:
Cattle love the stuff as well as the shucks off the ears of corn. Might want to keep an eye out for possibility of bloat if they overdo it.

Thanks TB, We've only been giving them access to a little each day. I'll continue to do that instead of turning them loose on all of it. And yes, they come runnin' for the shucks. Like I said, it seems to be like candy them. I found they like beet tops, too. I figured those would be okay too, but I've kept that to small quatities as well. We were talking about fencing the areas (where we're growing market veges) for the winter to let them clean out the plants I would normally have to pull. Anything I have to worry about besides the nightshades?

I had an old cow that would eat jalopena peppers as long as you gave them too her and tears would just roll down her face. :lol2:

CottageFarm":1ca7vdqp said:
I know baled corn stalks don't have much nutrition in them. What about when they're still green?
We picked our sweet corn (what the grasshoppers & racoons didn't get :bang: ) and have been giving the stalks to the calves. They eat it like its candy and bawl for more. I'm concerned about turning them loose to graze it because they'll ignore their hay, although not their grain, in favor of the corn stalks.
I know there was a link posted a while back with a nutritional chart for different forages, but I'll be darned if I can find it again. My searches have been fruitless thus far. :oops:
Try this
http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_feed_c ... index.html

I have an old stalk cutter that you lay the stalks on the bed, turn the flywheel and it pulls the stalks in as well as cuts them into bite sized pieces (about 4-6" long). Gets pretty tiresome, thought about putting an electric motor on it, but it is a scary dangerous old piece of equipment. Have thought about buying one of those Harbor Freight chippers and running the stalks through that and feeding it like green chop silage.

dun":1seyg54b said:
CottageFarm":1seyg54b said:
Try this
http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_feed_c ... index.html

That's the one I was looking for. Thank you, Dun!

TexasBred":34tdsdae said:
BRAFORDMAN":34tdsdae said:

Accuration
Accuration 2HL
Have you priced this stuff? I haven't but last I heard it was dang near $800 a ton and some nasty shyt to deal with. You can get liquid feed with almost the same analysis at half the cost. Corn stalks will keep'em full and busy ruminating. Not much else.

I already use the stuff. The percentage accuration I get is about $500 a ton. It has fish oil in it so it stinks a little but not nasty to work with. Its a solid not a liquid. It increases forage intake.

Farmerjon":2wk10maw said:
If it is actually "hay" then it was cut with the corn on the stalk, dried and baled. Like oats hay, it is cut with the grain in the head, dried, baled. Oats straw is baled after the oats are harvested and the stalk remains in the field and is baled. So technically speaking it would be hay straw. :frowns: Great bedding and filler for their stomachs if they eat it. Otherwise great bedding they can pick through/glean from.
Hay straw that makes zero sense. Corn straw maybe. baled corn stover is the most logical answer.

Your right. Another case of me fingers getting ahead of me brain! Try to answer in a logical manner and trip over my boot laces. Thanks for clearing that one up for me. :tiphat:

Latest posts