Corn Prices and your Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

The neighbors at the dairy are in that boat.. If the milk check next month doesn;t at least cover the increased prices of feed they'll be selling completely out of dairy and switching over to beef.
Since we feed so little grain it won;t have any affect on our beef cows.

dun

My cows eat grass. Unless feeder prices get low enough because of the high corn prices that I can't make it pencil, it won't have an effect.

dun":23feysz7 said:
The neighbors at the dairy are in that boat.. If the milk check next month doesn;t at least cover the increased prices of feed they'll be selling completely out of dairy and switching over to beef.

dun
hey dun whats that dairy giving for grain now.weve had to give as high as $10.50/100 for feed when we milked.

bigbull338":qc0tn9sf said:
dun":qc0tn9sf said:

dun
hey dun whats that dairy giving for grain now.weve had to give as high as $10.50/100 for feed when we milked.

Not sure but the milkers grain went up 60 cents a hundred in the last load and the heifer grian went up a buck. When they start talking actual dollars I tune them out, not my business as far as I'm concerned.

dun

Don't think it will affect our cow herd as we don't feed that much grain and are thinking of switching to syrup for that. Has already taken a big hit on our hogs though. Been a tough time around here as we decided to start thinning out our hogs because of the price of corn. If it keeps going up, we'll be out.

dun":gt71o5ez said:
bigbull338":gt71o5ez said:
dun":gt71o5ez said:

dun

Not sure but the milkers grain went up 60 cents a hundred in the last load and the heifer grian went up a buck. When they start talking actual dollars I tune them out, not my business as far as I'm concerned.

dun
well some dairies will go out because of grain prices.but the thing todo is cut their outside feeding.dry cows an heifers over a yr old dont need that much grain.

Dun: Some people are going to a seasonal grassfed dairy and are getting good production and a 5 month vacation with much lower costs, you might mention that to your neighbors.

Going to be funny when everyone tries to go grassfed and attempts to compete with corn growers for land.

There is not enough pasture to sustain the cattle we have now.

MikeC":3371eajz said:
Going to be funny when everyone tries to go grassfed and attempts to compete with corn growers for land.

There is not enough pasture to sustain the cattle we have now.
Ain't that the truth. Already have a job on the books to put terraces in a pasture they're going to rip up this spring to row crop. Lots of CRP ground isn't going back in either. Corn prices have lots thinking that's the way to go.

Has anyone noticed that a 500 pound calf is worth $150 less than it was last mid Sept? It's the corn, doesn't matter that you completely grass and hay feed, if you sell calves it's gonna hurt.

All calf producers better hope for a huge corn crop in 07. With 56 new ethanol plants opening they will use 40% of the 12 billion bushel corn crop. If corn hits $5 a bushel look for choice calves to be around .80 cents a pound. There will be a few of us hang it up.

mnmtranching":2tqyklnr said:
Has anyone noticed that a 500 pound calf is worth $150 less than it was last mid Sept? It's the corn, doesn't matter that you completely grass and hay feed, if you sell calves it's gonna hurt.

All calf producers better hope for a huge corn crop in 07. With 56 new ethanol plants opening they will use 40% of the 12 billion bushel corn crop. If corn hits $5 a bushel look for choice calves to be around .80 cents a pound. There will be a few of us hang it up.
the figures i seen the plants was going to use 30% of 2007 corn crop.an produce enough ddgs to feed 4%of the U S cattle.wich means DDGs will be cheap.unless the coops buy it an bag it.

Well here is my thinking. All those plants arent actually going to open. When harvest time comes there just might be so much corn that nobody knows what to do with it. Right now the corn prices are high as they are banking on that increased outlet. If it doesnt materialize the price is going to drop through the floor. Their will be twice as much corn and no place to sell it.

Cubes have gone up 30$ a ton here just this month. Lucky for me I have good grass and oats coming up and dont really need it much longer. Some of the cows dont even bother to come up to the bunk as it is and I have already started cutting back on the daily amount.

Just wondering if any of you feed distillers? With all these new ethenol plants going up I see big oppertunities for the feedlot. resulting in better calf prices? Don't know how many of you this affects?

And thought number 2 is... Alot of talk of guys getting out of the beef business... around here atleast. Where are our number of animals going to be at in a couple of years?

Iowa237":2srhaabw said:
Just wondering if any of you feed distillers? With all these new ethenol plants going up I see big oppertunities for the feedlot. resulting in better calf prices? Don't know how many of you this affects?

And thought number 2 is... Alot of talk of guys getting out of the beef business... around here atleast. Where are our number of animals going to be at in a couple of years?

The problem with the distillers is the price on it is going up just as fast as corn. For the dairy that has been the major impact on their grain ration

dun

Yup! all these ethanol plants don't give a crap about us feeding cattle.
There is three times the amount of DDG on the market as 1 year ago when corn was 1.80 a bushel. Guess what! DDG is $60 a ton higher than a year ago. If you think there is going to be a bargain on DDG. Ummm, like I said, ethanol plants are going to make all the money they can while they can.

mnmtranching":271f7ixg said:
Yup! all these ethanol plants don't give a crap about us feeding cattle.
There is three times the amount of DDG on the market as 1 year ago when corn was 1.80 a bushel. Guess what! DDG is $60 a ton higher than a year ago. If you think there is going to be a bargain on DDG. Ummm, like I said, ethanol plants are going to make all the money they can while they can.
well they cant sale it if they price it to high.everyone knows when cottonseed hits $240 a ton everyone backs away from it.an goes to another feedstuff.

Unless you have piles of money to carry you over, switching a dairy from regular to seasonal takes a good amount of time unless you sell a bunch of cows and buy a bunch of new ones.

I have some friends who farm thousands of acres. I asked if her husband was planting all corn and she said mostly but was going to plant some milo also. Anyway I said yea the ethenol has really gotten the price of corn up and she said well around here it is mostly the shortage from the drought that has alot to do with the price going up. Said that when corn goes through a drought it gets something(I can't remember the name she called it) and you can't feed it to dairy cows.

According to the Midwest Cattleman paper, the USDA is forecasting beef imports for 2007 totaling 3.28 billionpounds.

To me it doesn't make sense, as there will be cow/calf producers here in the USA going under, yet we're going to import that much beef....

Latest posts