Corn Gluten?????

Help Support CattleToday:

choward2955jd

Reaction score
Does anyone else feed a mixture of Corn Gluten to their cattle? I was talking to our local vet. and he said that feeding corn gluten to cows can cause them to have stomach trouble and possible breeding problems.

Has anyone else heard of this problem??

What is a good feed mixture to feed adult cows??

Thanks

Chris Howard
Kentucky

We fed corn gluten straight and never had any problems other then them squirting 15 feet behind them.
Our standard mixture for weaning or for getting the cows to come up to the working pens is roughly 1/2 corn gluten, 1/4 cracked corn and 1/4 soy hull pellets

We mix it with soy hull pellets and oats and feed it as a growing ration to our heifers we are going to keep. Good protein with no fat.

We feed a mixture of gluten and pellets and have never had any problems with our cattle. Works really well and the cost is right.

I feed i mix similar to what dun said i buy mixed here morgan co. chris all of mine do just fine i even feed it to the horses and no prob. with them. Hows the grass and hay in your part of the bluegrass?

I have fed that stuff for yrs and never had a problem of any kind that i`m aware off. It is a very good mix feed and growing cattle do very well on it.
I also use it with a soy hull mix and grow replacement heifers without the worry of them getting udder fat.

blk mule

I feed corn gluten to cows on stalks, after the corn has been consumed. about 10 lbs/head.

I feed corn gluten to developing heifers, 7 lbs with free choice grass hay.

I feed corn gluten to steers and bulls, 10 to 20 lbs, with free choice grass hay.

I also feed a 2:1 mineral free choice to all, due to high P in gluten.

williew":1icruc92 said:
I feed i mix similar to what dun said i buy mixed here morgan co. chris all of mine do just fine i even feed it to the horses and no prob. with them. Hows the grass and hay in your part of the bluegrass?

What part of Morgan are you in? I was told by our vet. Ben Wilson that it leads to stomach and breeding problems. We buy all of our feed from Davenport Farm Supply

choward2955jd":21kw7n2u said:
williew":21kw7n2u said:

What part of Morgan are you in? I was told by our vet. Ben Wilson that it leads to stomach and breeding problems. We buy all of our feed from Davenport Farm Supply

To be polite, your vet may be a little mistaken.

dun":ks75enft said:
choward2955jd":ks75enft said:
williew":ks75enft said:

To be polite, your vet may be a little mistaken.

I would think he is talking about straight corn gluten in high numbers say 10 to 15 lbs as the major protein source.

On 705 between Ezel and west liberty, IM from fleming co . I didnt buy feed at davenports when i lived there , I buy at wrigley 7-7-11, iuse Fugate and Adams they say to watch over feeding the horses on it, but the cattle. is fine what part do you live in If you live in fleming go to Jabetown and tell Brad cox what you want in a mix. or tell him what i use to buy there , you wont have ant problems

After reading article that Chris suggested on Cattletoday.com
I will say, glad i said no problems i`m aware of.
Makes me think they would consume large amounts before any major problem if any at all.

blk mule

williew":3bhdfrox said:
On 705 between Ezel and west liberty, IM from fleming co . I didnt buy feed at davenports when i lived there , I buy at wrigley 7-7-11, iuse Fugate and Adams they say to watch over feeding the horses on it, but the cattle. is fine what part do you live in If you live in fleming go to Jabetown and tell Brad cox what you want in a mix. or tell him what i use to buy there , you wont have ant problems

I live in Sharpsburg, about 15min from Fleming County. I have a good friend in Morgan County. Chris Lindon he is an Ag. Teacher there.

The mixture i feed is 1 ton of corn 1 ton of soybean hulls and 1ton of corn gluten. I am guessing I feed the cows about 1 pund of this feed twice a day.

DOC HARRIS":14xn3xes said:
somn":14xn3xes said:
seth":14xn3xes said:
What exactly is corn gluten?

It is a by product from the wet milling of No. 2 yellow corn.
It is also found in wheat and other grains. Mixture of proteins and Low starch.

DOC HARRIS
BS corn gluten can only come from one grain Corn. If it is wheat gluten then they will call it wheat gluten not corn gluten. Corn is corn wheat is wheat. Big difference obviously not to you but everywhere else it is a big difference.

Latest posts