Corn price=breed change?

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy":3r93gd3a said:
corn price= breed change? I guess that depends on how long you think corn based ethanol production will continue in this country. I wouldn't make long term changes, but easy keepers without grain should be the goal anyway.

RIGHT NOW it looks like corn as a feedstuff MAY be on it's way out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18160575/

http://moneynews.com/money/archives/art ... .cfm?s=mni

http://moneynews.com/money/archives/st/ ... 153106.cfm

"IF" so cattlemen are going to have to figure out how to get a finished product with less grain than we are using now.

The new catch phrases in cattle advertising will be feed efficiency ,low input, moderate framed ect.
Before you jump ship for someone elses program, see what their advertising slogans were 5-10 yrs ago.It doesn't happen overnight!

Jake":2nau5zsm said:
Here in the states it's becoming very obvious that the packers no longer want these monsterous carcasses. They are docking carcasses that are too big and paying a premiuim for the smaller fatter carcasses. A big reason for the fatier carcasses being a premium is that animal fat is now being turned into biodiesel and is trading right around the $.50 mark where a year ago it was $.07. If input cost continue to rise a smart rancher is not going to be able to feed the larger higher input cattle. In our area and northward we're seeing a huge trend in reducing frame size and producing more maternally based cattle that can handle their own with little to no supplementation.

Some packers have RAISED the max carcass weights from 950 to 1000 lbs in the past year. It takes the same amount of time to harvest a 600 lb carcass as it does a 1000 lb carcass.

To packers, time is money.

I think you're off base here.

MikeC":3l2tvg20 said:
Some packers have RAISED the max carcass weights from 950 to 1000 lbs in the past year. It takes the same amount of time to harvest a 600 lb carcass as it does a 1000 lb carcass.

I don't have the article anymore but they had to raise max weights because they were getting so many large carcasses. It's hard for packers to market a 17 in ribeye to a soccer mom. The overly large carcasses don't fit the standards for boxed beef sales.

MikeC":1z55wqh3 said:

I don't have the article anymore but they had to raise max weights because they were getting so many large carcasses. It's hard for packers to market a 17 in ribeye to a soccer mom. The overly large carcasses don't fit the standards for boxed beef sales.

R.N.Reed":d74bz5km said:
The new catch phrases in cattle advertising will be feed efficiency ,low input, moderate framed ect.
Before you jump ship for someone elses program, see what their advertising slogans were 5-10 yrs ago.It doesn't happen overnight!

And I can say with 100% certainy that the demand for Lowline & Percentage Lowline Bulls/Semen is starting to sky rocket in the commercial world. High grain + record drought will do that. If the midwest has a drought this year, and I've heard some predicting that to happen, you will see a lot of "big" cows heading to market in a hurry! I will not ever wish a drought on anyone, but I am loving these high grain prices!! I hope that corn tops $6 in 2008!

Brandonm22":wa0ya5tf said:
auctionboy":wa0ya5tf said:
corn price= breed change? I guess that depends on how long you think corn based ethanol production will continue in this country. I wouldn't make long term changes, but easy keepers without grain should be the goal anyway.

RIGHT NOW it looks like corn as a feedstuff MAY be on it's way out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18160575/

http://moneynews.com/money/archives/art ... .cfm?s=mni

http://moneynews.com/money/archives/st/ ... 153106.cfm

"IF" so cattlemen are going to have to figure out how to get a finished product with less grain than we are using now.

I wrote this months ago.

dirtfarmer":20h01bxr said:
Kerry is a dual-purpose breed that people might want to examine. They are an ancient breed and they can survive where others will starve to death, eating what modern cows refuse. Kerries are smaller than most modern cattle, cows weighing about 500 -600 lbs. and crossbreeding to Kerry bulls should be wonderful for first-calf heifers. They are the only breed that has not been bred-up to be high-input high-output animals. They will increase the milk when crossed with most beef breeds. They will make dairy herds have much more grass-fed tendencies. They are good homestead animals and make very good family milk cows and will give about two gallons per day. There are no Kerries for sale since they are almost extinct, but you can buy the semen. They are similar to Dexter but they do not have the bulldog/dwarfism gene that Dexters have. I have four Kerry heifers and a Kerry bull, and I'm going to buy hereford heifers to go with them so the hereford heifers will produce thrifty little black baldie calves since Kerries are black.

Pardon?

The Kerry is 1/3 X bigger than a Dexter and a Dexter cow weighs 750 lbs and is truly duo purpose.....unlike a Kerry which is a milk breed so where did you come from?

EAT BEEF":2zfxas7g said:
I don't know how long corn based ethanol will last,but I don't think we will see corn prices back to where they were pre ethanol.Inputs costs are to high and demand from places like China for fert will continue to rise imo.

Andybob I think a maternal based cowherd bred to terminal sires is the way to go no matter what happens but those with maternal based genetics to sell may do very well. It would be nice to have some money in a time of economic downturn.

what is a 'terminal' sire? ---excuse my ignorance........

Terminal sire is any bull used to breed F1 cows to produce a three-way cross calf.

Usually terminal lends itself to the Continental breeds, while maternal are the British breeds.

Terminal meaning u don't want to do it again cause they gonna be hillbillys? Hey I drive an old ford pick up truck.....I drink whiskey from a coffee truck, U look familiar.............

A terminal bull/breed is one that is used for the sole purpose of producing animals for the feed lot and that no offspring will be kept for breeding purposes.

Latest posts