Planting corn under irrigation

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I'm going to plant a hectare or two of corn under irrigation, but knows very little about corn. I've got the spacing and variety dealt with, but need some advice on herbicides and fertiliser. Any advice on timing of the above will greatly be appreciated.

1.2 units of N for every Bu you want to produce. don't know about the P and K in your part of the world but you need high levels of both, we also use a hundred lbs. of AMS to get some S. As far as herbicide we use RR corn so it's a mix of roundup, duel and Atzrine. Then all the water you can put to it.

I do believe that Knersie is well aware of that Scroote and that perhaps he is mocking the likes of you. In your attempts to belittle him once again you may just have fallen for the bait. Then again I may be totally wrong and he made an honest to God mistake by posting under the wrong board.....

I will ask Mr Hd when he gets home Knersie ,as I am sure we had irrigated corn when he dairied down south . Also he has his crop spraying license so he should know what chemical was best to use... If he can remember that far back . :roll:

Scroote":2u9bhduw said:
This is the cattle breeds board, not crop board.

For shame.. :roll: ..let's all remember to flog him at the next reunion party....

Ala...I'm gonna go look for that crop board too :D

jedstivers":cfs2a8hd said:
1.2 units of N for every Bu you want to produce. don't know about the P and K in your part of the world but you need high levels of both, we also use a hundred lbs. of AMS to get some S. As far as herbicide we use RR corn so it's a mix of roundup, duel and Atzrine. Then all the water you can put to it.
Jed in some areas of the USA you can get 215 bu out of 125 units of N

hillsdown":3l6c45wd said:
I will ask Mr Hd when he gets home Knersie ,as I am sure we had irrigated corn when he dairied down south . Also he has his crop spraying license so he should know what chemical was best to use... If he can remember that far back . :roll:

Sorry, no luck . It has been 25 years ,so even if he did remember it probably would not be much help. :(

soil testing would be the best start, friend tested sheep pasture for N didn't need any N corn yielded 150-180 bu. even when planted late. The old soils prof. at michigan state always said to use a 2:1:2 ratio of N P K. with fert. prices I'd still test

Id talk to some local people. Some soil can raise 250 corn and other soil with same ammount of fertilizer would only do 125. 2 acres/hectares....IDK, soil test would be good. For that size of ground might be as simple to just "wing" it. Is it old cow pen type ground?

Latest posts