Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
2zf8ghx.jpg

9sxwgi.jpg

2dbs0sw.jpg

343m5o0.jpg

ettfg1.jpg

They seem to be holding up reasonably well. Minus 36C at the time of taking these pics a couple of hours ago.

bball":2ef07mn5 said:
Any windbreak or cover? Or are they just hard as coffin nails?

There is windbreak set up for them, not shown in these pics. We are pretty naturally protected from the North wind where we are at, but they take advantage of it at times.

Silver":dff9t89g said:
bball":dff9t89g said:

There is windbreak set up for them, not shown in these pics. We are pretty naturally protected from the North wind where we are at, but they take advantage of it at times.

Curious about what kind of windbreak you have? Think im going to have to make something for my northern exposure at the house where i winger the cows.
Thanks

bball":15v2gl40 said:
Silver":15v2gl40 said:
bball":15v2gl40 said:

Curious about what kind of windbreak you have? Think im going to have to make something for my northern exposure at the house where i winger the cows.
Thanks

We bought free standing wind break panels, 24 feet long each I think. Then bought waney edge board from a local mill to attach to them. Had to push in some posts to tie them to, when the chinook winds blow they can tip over :nod:

Ky hills":1nob1obp said:
That's cold, but those calves look good and seem to be handling it well.

I agree. Sure is something about seeing cows out in the winter that I really enjoy. Truly shows how rugged a creature they really are. Great pics!

Bright Raven":2bi9xamh said:
Don't the Chinook winds bring more moderate temperatures?

Yes they do, in fact when they come the temp can swing from 40 below to forty above F in a few hours. But they can really blow, and tend to be the hardest on wind breaks. Hard to get upset about it though when it warms up like that :D

Silver":1oe6r5yq said:
bball":1oe6r5yq said:

They look good Silver. A full belly of good feed makes a big difference in these conditions.

That north wind is cold no matter what direction it comes from. ;-)

Latest posts