coons and corn

Help Support CattleToday:

meboyles

Reaction score
Other than not planting, how can you keep the coons out of the corn patch?

meboyles":1bn440ae said:
Other than not planting, how can you keep the coons out of the corn patch?

Well, my dogs have succeeded - other than that - shoot upon sight.

Good luck

Bez>

Can't shoot what you don't see.
If you see them shoot like Bez says.
If you do not see them get a meduim size live trap and bait with corn or raw eggs. Then shoot them in the trap and haul away.

we put up an electric fence. yes, its alot of trouble but i make about 400 bucks every year at the farmers market so its well worth it to me.

the bottom wire is only about 3-4 inches off the ground. and then the second one is about a foot above that one. give or take. you want it tall enough they can jump over but narrow enough they cant go through. from my experience traps dont work the best. they'd rather have the corn.

this year the drought got most of mine and I though coons were getting the rest

turned out it is squirrels. caught a couple of them running out of it the other afternoon when i got home from work.

When I had a big old aussie that stayed out side I didn't have this sort of trouble but after he died we have gotten into the habit of keeping the dogs inside. they are the alarm part of our security system. Assorted loaded revolvers and shotguns are the other part.

forgot to add to my last post.

We have a lot of coons opposums and skunks and rabies is heavy in our area.

I have lost a calf to rabies and had to take the shots myself.

Haven't seen a coon since I left the south...the porkeypines give the dogs fits but haven't been in the corn...
Worst planting of corn ever....right in the middle of germination the night time temp drops to the 30's same with the third planting...the second plot is doing allright though.

No they no longer give the shots in the stomach.
Mine were first one in each hip and one in the thigh. Then one for a couple of weeks then the blood tests.
This was back in the 80's though. Don't know if it is still the same now.

no the shots are no longer given in the stomach.

whoever it was that had only three the first time is small I can tell you that.

the first shots are given by weight and at 250 lbs I hit the jackpot.

I had one in each arm one in each butt cheek one in each thigh and one in the back of one thigh.

Thats seven shots for those who are math challenged. then you have to go back for several weeks to get boosters but the boosters are just one shot each time. Even heard the nurse outside lamenting to others that she had to give seven shots to the poor man in number three. at the time I did not know I was the poor man in number three till she came in with the tray.

Not cheap either.

Our neighbors sells corn and had problems with coons. They bought a kit that is plactic woven wire with steel worked in. It comes with a charger. They said at night you can hear the coons angerly screaming when they hit the elec. fence.

Kickinbull that sounds like it would make an interesting video. Sort of like the elk and deer licking a peanutbutter and mollasses treated plastic electric strip. :lol:
I know I have a warped sense of humor.

pdfangus":1lmjg5sr said:
no the shots are no longer given in the stomach.

whoever it was that had only three the first time is small I can tell you that.

the first shots are given by weight and at 250 lbs I hit the jackpot.

I had one in each arm one in each butt cheek one in each thigh and one in the back of one thigh.

Thats seven shots for those who are math challenged. then you have to go back for several weeks to get boosters but the boosters are just one shot each time. Even heard the nurse outside lamenting to others that she had to give seven shots to the poor man in number three. at the time I did not know I was the poor man in number three till she came in with the tray.

Not cheap either.

OW! Scares me to think of it, but rabies is 100% fatal, so I guess the shots are a relatively small price to pay. My dad had to get the shots when he was younger. You got them all at one time? Then boosters? I didn't know you had to get boosters. I had to go get blood drawn every week for several months and I dreaded that. My sympathies.

Yes there were boosters. The nurses kept asking me if i remembered which hip they got me in the last time. I was 10 or 11. Bit by a cat. Still have the scar on my thumb.

we used electric this year with good results... the local game warden told us to hang aluminum foil between every post and smear it with penut butter to "get them used to it"...so far its worked preaty well

bigjohn513":39zfgh84 said:
we used electric this year with good results... the local game warden told us to hang aluminum foil between every post and smear it with penut butter to "get them used to it"...so far its worked preaty well

Never thought about the foil and peanut butter.

Bet that wet nose and tongue will be numb for awhile! :lol:

Latest posts